• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95/96 Steering Wheel, Horn, Clockspring, Airbag

fj40series

NAXJA Forum User
1995 XJ Sport, no cruise control.
In the process of replacing my steering wheel, (stock for stock from same year) I managed to rip off and destroy the single black wire that connects the horn from the clock spring to the buttons on the wheel. There was just a frayed wire left, but I thought I'd give it a try and reconnected it (crimped) to the new wheel's horn wire. When I reconnected the battery, the horn was blaring on and wouldn't turn off. I thought I must have done some serious damage to the wire that feeds into the clock spring, so I just cut it down completely so it was out of the way and wouldn't short on anything, then reattached the wheel.

Now I have no horn.

How can I get my horn back? (I don't want to externally wire something outside the steering wheel)

Do I need to replace my clock spring? How does this wire connect and can it be redone, or do I need to get a whole new clock spring?

Side question on the airbag of these models – being a mechanical airbag in 95/96, will the airbag be affected or not by a damaged clock spring? I've heard bad stories about these early mechanical airbags and I am considering disarming by loosening screw on top of steering column. Will this affect anything with the PCM or check engine light?

Back