• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95,242, locker questions

Afireinside

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I have a 95,242,aw4,d-35,d-30 setup. I want to put a locker in one of the axles. I'm going lunch box style probably aussie or spatan(opinions welcome).
Ok so on to the questions. I live in Colorado and the full time feature of the 242 is a keeper. I sometimes travel high speeds in auto 4wd. I also wheel in the summer. I obviously think the front axle is the best place. I know snow high speeds and a front locker= a disaster. So does a Dana 35. I wanna keep my abs and full time 4wd.
Opinions please
Thanks

personally i'd swap the D35 for a 29 spline 8.25 or a D44, and put the locker in that. I absolutely would not want an autolocker in the front of a vehicle that was going to see DD duty in the snow.

TrueTrac Limited Slip in the rear axle. Great behavior on pavement, especially in winter weather, pretty good on the 4x4 trails and much better than an open differential.

x2, an autolocker in front axle sucks in winter.

I've got an Aussie Locker on the Dana35 rear of my 00XJ, with ABS, and love it. I intend to put Aussie Lockers on my two other Jeeps and my son's Jeep.

Best regards,

CJR

When I had my 97 I ran an open rear and a lunchbox in the front end. I never drove in snow so can't comment on that but off pavement I actually liked having the front end locked over having the rear end locked. I left the rear open and on the street it was as behaved as a stock Jeep all you'd hear is some ratcheting in the front when in 2wd when going around corners.

In you situation dealing with snow if you have to have a locker I'd honestly go with some kind of selectable locker in which either end you want. I'm in the market for a OEMish XJ again and plan to go selectable in the front with an open rear. It'll cost more but give you more options.

I agree with the above comments about the rear axle though. I'd keep an eye out for a 8.25 to swap in the 35's place.

The problem I see with a front lunchbox and a 242 is you never know when the xfer case will engage the front axle when in full-time mode. That’s not a good surprise with an autolocker.

Isnt it engaged all the time in 4h full time, it a not like an automatic 4wd system. In 4H FT you've always got power going to the front wheels and back wheels you just have a differential in the xfer case. ? Disengaged with 2wd mode the front shaft just free wheels.

That's one of the reasons I'd be hesitant to put any auto locker in a jeep with the 242 that seems to negate the purpose of the full time setting in the first place.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

242 Full-Time engages the front axle at all times, however 242 does have the internal differential that allows the use of Full-Time on any surface, at anytime, for as long as you want.

A front auto locker in a 242 equipped XJ makes the Full-Time feature work just like Part-Time, as in you should not use it on dry pavement. The 242 internal differential does not function as originally intended with a front auto locker installed. A rear locker with a 242 is OK. A front Limited Slip with the 242 is OK.

Not to mention, front auto lockers suck in snowy/icy conditions. For winter driving one should have an open front axle differential, and if you really want a front traction device, a front axle Limited Slip, or a front axle selectable locker. If prefer a rear axle traction device for winter driving. A factory installed Limited Slip is adequate, a TrueTrac Limited slip is better than that, and a locker would be my best choice.

Last edited:
My 88 with the 242 and limited slip worked fine. I would not use an auto locker in the snow.

anyway, the OP wants to retain driveability. trueTrac in the rear would fit the bill.

Thanks. I guess a rear locker sounds better? I'm keeping the rear d35. I want the abs and as long as I can run the 242 in fulltime I'm good. Not gonna pay or need a selectable locker,it would be nice. This is a situation where I will keep and update a d35 for abs and drivability

Ok so I guess it's time to build the d35? This is one application that I will keep. I have other axle options, just doesn't fit now. Locker opinions? Super 35 kit? Suggestions please

There are a couple better/cheaper choices than doing a Super 35. The 8.8 came with abs just have change the tone rings. The C8.25 which you would add tone rings. Both have been done before.

Problem is I already have 2 d35s the one I'm going to build has 4.10 gears already and I'm gonna lock it. I understand it's a time bomb,but I have beat the crap out of a few d35s and it seems to me that it's usually side or spider gears that go. I know I "should" do something stronger but in the case the 35 is gonna stay. Just looking at making it somewhat tuff, I guess polishing a turd lol. Thanks for all the answers.
Any opinions on which locker? I don't want a selectable,if I spend that money it will be on the front axle. Thanks

Back