• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 XJ steering issues

fsj-earl

NAXJA Forum User
I am sure that this topic has been beat to death, but I am in need of advice, suggestions, tips, etc. I have destroyed my drag link and tie rod for the 3rd and final time. I need to upgrade. Vehicle specs:
- 94 XJ
- 4" long arm lift
- 34 x 10.5 x 16 LTBs on steel deadlocks
- Aussie locker in the front and welded rear
- fully skidded including Solid front diff covers
- Warn front bumper w/ 8274 winch
- AGR PS pump and AGR steering box

I do 99% of my wheeling at Rausch Creek so I get a good combo of dirt, rocks, roots, mud, etc., usually run blues with an occasional black.

Yesterday, I totally taco'ed my entire steering linkage. I need to upgrade, but I am not wanting to drop 600 - 1000 bucks for a full knuckle swap, hi clearance kit / system. I would really like something pretty straight forward and simple. Does not need to be a direct bolt on as I am pretty mechanically inclined. I have seen the stuff from Iron Rock, Terra Flex, Rusty's, etc. Also needs to clear my aftermarket front diff cover. What works? What fits my description? Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Crown HD stuff is V8 ZJ parts, IIRC.

I had good luck with a V8 drag link and an IRO HD tie rod on my ZJ on 35's. Pat (CTeunuch) ran the same setup on his XJ on 36" TSL's, and it worked well for him too. I know IRO catches a bunch of shit around here, but their tie rod was good. No experience with the OTK steering that they offer.

I've seen some people run the Currie HD setup and it holds up very well.

I was always under the impression the Currie setup wasnt a good option on a flexy suspension such as LA's.. has that changed?

This is Currie steering with a Ironman aluminum tie rod. Flexed pretty well.
image_zps2f662fe3.jpg.html

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/alwaysinYOURhead/media/Mobile Uploads/image_zps2f662fe3.jpg.html
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/alwaysinYOURhead/media/Mobile Uploads/image_zpse5fd3bbe.jpg.html

Last edited:
Back