• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 XJ - Ignition switch harness replacement

sberrett

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

Got my dash ripped apart in order to replace the ignition switch on my 94 XJ Sport. I got the old switch off, but the wire harness is toasted so i'm going to have to replace it with something aftermarket.

Will I be able to cut the old burnt one off and then recrimp ends on to it and plug it in?

What kind of connectors and tool will I need for that? I thought it was just going to be a simple plug and play process today, but now its turning in to a project. Whats the proper name for this wire harness anyways?

Here is a pic of the harness in question.

https://i.imgur.com/3efxn9Z.jpg

I would go the junkyard and look for a new plug/wires.

You can release the wires from the plug housing with a thin piece of metal. The crimped connectors have a small tab that springs up to keep them from backing out of the housing. If you depress that tab you can slide them out the back. The burned one may not behave properly, but the others should come out. Might take a few tries, but it usually isn't a big challenge.

Get a new plug and swap the good wires into it. Then you just have to splice the one burned wire. I use solder and heat shrink tubing, but most folks seem to get along fine with crimped butt connectors.

Back