• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 zj 46rh, torque converter wont lock

Vanimal

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 zj with the 5.2 and 46rh trans. When i got the thing, the torque converter wouldn't lock. I replaced it as well as rebuilt the valve body and installed a transgo kit that fixes all the little issues that these trannys supposedly have. During install, i found the 3-4 accumulator spring was broken into 3 pieces.
I got the trans all back together and everything seems great except for the torque converter still doesn't lock out. It did lock once or twice on me the other day, and when it did, it felt pretty healthy. no slipping or anything.
Does anyone have any ideas why it won't lock on a regular basis? Is this likely an internal trans issue, or a tcm/wiring/sensor/solenoid issue?

Like most any other auto equipped vehicles the brake switch can affect TC lockup. I would check/adjust replace that. Scott from the NW chapter has a ZJ with the same trans and seems to know a bit about it. Maybe contact him also.

well i owe you a beer at scf. the brake switch was only partially engaging. lights worked, but that was it. now my torque converter and cruise control works. it's already getting way better mpg's (which isnt saying much)

Thanks for the follow up Dan. I have a 46RH in my MJ and I will use this if it ever acts up.

Glad I could help, and that you solved the problem.
And, I like free beer.

Back