• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91' 2wd MJ calipers?

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
Caliper seized up on my MJ

I have 3 different Dana 30's. All from 97 ZJ or XJ's in my parts rack

I really don't want to BUY a caliper..

Will any of my current used calipers work?

I want to say no.

but I'm not 100% on that.
I know that the brackets and lines are different.

you might be able to swap the whole knuckle and everything outwards to your 92 axle base. more work but you get to use a newer part that will be made for longer.

Is there an actual "false stub shaft"?

I could swap in a D30 for free.. I think that's the way to go

The later model XJ's used the same UB's as 4WD and had a stub shaft. SO swapping D30 knuckles and matching UB/brakes etc will work. A D30 4WD outer will work with that setup on a 2WD beam.
In theory it would be less work to swap in a D30 assembly, vs knuckles. So, if you have that do it.

the early ones are different. it really depends on what you've got. I dont' know when they changed them.

I know that my 88 has nothing that looks like it will swap with 4wd bits.

i'd swap the whole d30.

I know you said you didn't want to buy new, but RockAuto has Wagner reman's loaded for $31 for left front and a bit more for the Right front.

Rebuilt calipers are cheap enough and certainly less effort.

Brake Calipers:

1) 1984 to 1989 - AMC style Brake Calipers. Left and right sides calipers have different part numbers and only fit on AMC steering knuckles.
2) 1990 to 2001 - Chrysler style Brake Calipers. Left and right sides calipers have different part numbers and only fit on Chrysler steering knuckles.

Steering Knuckles:

1) 1984 to 1989 - AMC Steering Knuckles. Left and right side steering knuckles have different part numbers and only accept AMC calipers.
2) 1990 to 2001 - Chrysler Steering Knuckles. Left and right side steering knuckles have different part numbers and only accept Chrysler calipers.

Any XJ AMC or XJ Chrysler steering knuckle will fit on any XJ D30. They are all interchangeable but you have to compensate for the lack of the threaded adjuster in the bottom of the pre-1990 knuckle when you swap on the later ones by switching to the later upper ball joint that has the floating pin. There needs to be a mechanism for compensating for the exact precision of the tapered holes which is done with a threaded lower adjuster in the pre-1990 and a floating upper pin post 1990

I think the cam.plate adjustment on the LCA is different 2wd to 4wd as well....my formerly 2wd zj taught me this...

Back