• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 XJ HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!

I'd apologize and chalk it up to having a tard day, you are likely to need Mike again way before he needs you. ;) Bring rude isn't likely to be productive in the long run. Mike is a problem solver and pretty good at it. he has helped me on numerous occasions and saved me many hours of troubleshooting a problem he has already solved.

I have both, the closed and the open system. Either, well maintained, is marginally acceptable. Some of us get a kick out of making the closed system work, when it works it works well. Both systems have high spots that trap air.

I learned a long time ago, even the dumbest guy in the room is going to have good idea sooner or later and the only really dumb one is the the one who refuses to listen.

I do pretty well troubleshooting electrical systems (over fifty years of practice), most would make an XJ look like a toaster. Mike has helped me out and steered me in the right direction many times. It took a team of engineers to engineer the XJ, hard for one guy to know everything. I've also found it smart to learn from the others guys mistakes, a lot less painful (expensive) in the long run.

New isn't necessarily better, I've had a lot of new parts fail quickly or perform poorly. Even OEM parts in many cases aren't what they used to be.

Fine I apologize but the fact of the matter is I asked for help with a problem. I didn't ask for people to make comments that don't pertain to the question at hand. I'm asking to see if people.had any similar issues. Not tell me how "great" the system works. I could careless. I'm sorry butnim not gunna chalk it up to anything. I'm getting anoyyed at the lack of peoples common sense. I asked a question. If you have info on it share if not dont comment. Thank.you

Shrug... suit yourself. If you're so sure everyone's wrong and aren't answering the right question, figure it out yourself. I wasn't even really a jerk in my first reply.

Thanks for the idea ill.look into that. What trans cooler did you use?

I pulled an OEM Modine aux tranny cooler out of a junked XJ. Not real big, but it gets the job done. The bigger the tranny oil cooler the more it restricts the air flow and in all but extreme cases unnecessary.

If you over do it, in cold country and/or divorce it from the in radiator cooler you may get what I call cold shifts. It may shift late and sluggish if the tranny fluid is too cold.

That is why in the stock setup. the tranny cooler is used as a supplemental to the in radiator cooler, not instead of. They say the optimum temperature for the tranny fluid is right around 180 F. I know from experience when the temperature gets down around 0 F. shifts can get slow, sluggish and you may even get slippage, getting the tranny warm can be as important as cooling it.

If your single row radiator doesn't work out for you, next time get a double row, especially if you have A/C.

Ask mike, why if you spray water onto a radiator it cools it down pretty quickly, but high humidity seems to makes them work worse? He is good for stuff like that and this is something I've been wondering about for awhile now. :)

Last edited:
Fine I apologize but the fact of the matter is I asked for help with a problem. I didn't ask for people to make comments that don't pertain to the question at hand. I'm asking to see if people.had any similar issues. Not tell me how "great" the system works. I could careless. I'm sorry butnim not gunna chalk it up to anything. I'm getting anoyyed at the lack of peoples common sense. I asked a question. If you have info on it share if not dont comment. Thank.you

Sounds like my mother in law, she'd come over for a visit and then tell me not to slurp my Chili. I eventually learned to ignore her. Common sense would tell most people not to come into somebody else's house, start complaining and being bossy. My guess is you are the only male in an all girl household. :)

Last edited:
brand was unknown by me , I can get you measurements if you like, I cut the trans line below radiator and added cooler on return line so fluid path is trans into radcooler then to aux cooler and back to trans, no shift problems, hot or cold, OH, forgot to mention that I did mount cooler in front of rad on aux fan side, when extended slow wheeling the temp gauge will reach 200 deg and kick on the aux fan, which cools temp back to 180, just my luck or mabey not, good luck with yours.

Well here goes a dumb person with a good? idea, well it worked for me. When bleeding the system I started her up with rad cap off, and lower pipe off water pump (the return pipe from heater matrix). and added coolant into the rad till I got a steady flow through the return pipe. Although that was in the standard system and I live in Northern Ireland which is a gd bit colder than most places in America!:shiver:

I pulled an OEM Modine aux tranny cooler out of a junked XJ. Not real big, but it gets the job done. The bigger the tranny oil cooler the more it restricts the air flow and in all but extreme cases unnecessary.

If you over do it, in cold country and/or divorce it from the in radiator cooler you may get what I call cold shifts. It may shift late and sluggish if the tranny fluid is too cold.

That is why in the stock setup. the tranny cooler is used as a supplemental to the in radiator cooler, not instead of. They say the optimum temperature for the tranny fluid is right around 180 F. I know from experience when the temperature gets down around 0 F. shifts can get slow, sluggish and you may even get slippage, getting the tranny warm can be as important as cooling it.

If your single row radiator doesn't work out for you, next time get a double row, especially if you have A/C.

Ask mike, why if you spray water onto a radiator it cools it down pretty quickly, but high humidity seems to makes them work worse? He is good for stuff like that and this is something I've been wondering about for awhile now. :)
Ok cool ill look into the tranny cooler. As far as the double row rad. Does it matter if the A/C works? I have the compressor. Just not thing else.

brand was unknown by me , I can get you measurements if you like, I cut the trans line below radiator and added cooler on return line so fluid path is trans into radcooler then to aux cooler and back to trans, no shift problems, hot or cold, OH, forgot to mention that I did mount cooler in front of rad on aux fan side, when extended slow wheeling the temp gauge will reach 200 deg and kick on the aux fan, which cools temp back to 180, just my luck or mabey not, good luck with yours.

Yes measurements would be awesome and if pics are doable that would be great. I cam give you my email.

Well here goes a dumb person with a good? idea, well it worked for me. When bleeding the system I started her up with rad cap off, and lower pipe off water pump (the return pipe from heater matrix). and added coolant into the rad till I got a steady flow through the return pipe. Although that was in the standard system and I live in Northern Ireland which is a gd bit colder than most places in America!:shiver:

Sounds very messy but ill look into it! Thanks

well, took some approximate measurements from outside the grill and 14x8 inch is close and looked like 1/2 " tubes, could be 3/8" I don't currently have photobucket account to post pics here but I could mabey send them e-mail, just not sure how good the pics would show much other than seeing the cooler sitting behind the grill. To much stuff in the way to see any connections.

well, took some approximate measurements from outside the grill and 14x8 inch is close and looked like 1/2 " tubes, could be 3/8" I don't currently have photobucket account to post pics here but I could mabey send them e-mail, just not sure how good the pics would show much other than seeing the cooler sitting behind the grill. To much stuff in the way to see any connections.
Ok well if you can send em I'd appreciate it. Il pm you my email.

Please delete this post

Last edited:
Shrug... suit yourself. If you're so sure everyone's wrong and aren't answering the right question, figure it out yourself. I wasn't even really a jerk in my first reply.

For once you and I agree!!!! (JK, you and I agree a lot) but, I got my rain coat out anyway sir!!!

Last edited:
Back