• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 wagoneer starts but dies immediately

> Other possibility is the ignition switch is worn out

If that's the problem....it's located under the dash on top of the steering column. It hooks up to the ignition cylinder via a rod. (ignition cylinder is where the key goes)

Check the fusible link that feeds the yellow fuel pump wire, which feeds the resistor. During crank mode, the fuel pump gets voltage from a different wire, so it will start, and as soon as you let go of the key, it switches back to that yellow wire. If the link is burned, it will die. The reason it burns is due to a short where the wire loom goes under the radiator support. Check the wiring loom there for wear first.

You can test the switch with a new/used one without taking the column apart too. I always keep a spare in my getcha back box on long trips. (no sense letting a $15 part ruin my yearly trip.... EVER again!)

The First time I had this problem, I changed the ignition set, (Ignition Switch, Ignition key, Ignition Module) The problem persisted after I changed all mentioned. The guy at the shop fix a Ignition Relay (At least that's what he told me) where's that relay?.
I haven't cranked the Jeep yet, but I will in a few minutes, I already bought the Ballast Resistor, My plan is change the resistor before cranking the Jeep, because I know the fisrst crank is where it fail.
Any more info would be appreciatted.

Thanks

Replaced the CPS (crankshaft position sensor)

I'm not familure with 90's. Does the crankshaft position sensor do the same thing as the engine speed sensor (trans bell housing mounted on my '86 and '88.

KEn C.
'88 Cherokee, '86 Cherokee (original owner), '42 Willys (not original owner)

Well, I finally fixed the problem, first of, I changed the Ballast Resistor and the problem was still there, I switched the Ignition Relay with the AC relay and the problem is gone now. So I must say that my particular problem was the Ignition Relay, a cheap fix Thank God..

Thank You guys...

I had this problem once. It was a broken wire near the big relay (starter relay). This relay function as a distribution point for the various circuits. Check if any of the fusible links are broken.

Torfinn
90%20mod.%20Jeep%20cerokee%2040L%20004.jpg

Back