• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 cherokee a/c convert too small low pressure port

GroversXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the middle of converting my cherokee to use R134 from its original R12 system. I replaced all the o-rings with new ones as well as replaced the dryer/filter as well as the expansion valve with new pieces. I have already put in the correct oil. I was trying to evacuate the system and realized the low pressure port is too small for my R12 gauge hose to connect up. So was there an even smaller R12 connector used on renix systems or is there a special adapter I need to get?
Here is a pic of the low pressure port on my compressor (bottom) and a brass fitting that is the same configuration as the high pressure port on the compressor (top).
20150704_160717_zpsb15invb8.jpg

My comments above are under this assumption. Correct me if Im wrong but the port on the left is the low side and the port on the right is the high side.
20150704_163939_zpsmb9mtcrb.jpg

I'm not sure about the high side/ low side thing but did you notice the bracket cutting into the upper radiator hose?

I had to move the upper hose out of its bracket to get at the low pressure port which is why its back there, but in the pic it looks like its cutting into the hose but the metal is actually rusted away in that spot so it looks like it cut thru the hose but it didn't.

The R12 connectors on both sides of my gauge set connect to the high port but neither of them connect to the low port because its a smaller diameter. I am assuming this is because I have an old renix era compressor but I was hoping someone else here has seen this before.

It's possible you have a different thread on the low side. My '87 Ranger is like this, and I have a Ford adapter from waaaaay back when for my gauges. You could try finding one of those to see if it works. Or maybe ask the local shop to check it/borrow an adapter.

Back