• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

9" Front Axle

Gasman

NAXJA Forum User
Need to make room for the new, so out with the old! Here's the lowdown:

Currie 9" housing, shaved, trussed, and inner C's gusseted. LCA brackets mounted flush with housing, coil buckets raised for 2" built in lift, tie rod flipped over, Tera passenger knuckle W/high crossover steer, raised trackbar mount for parallel angles, hydro assist ram mounted, 63.5 WMS, 5 on 5.5" BP, Warn "big" hub conversion w/30 spline chromo outers, 31 spline chromo inners, full circle ujoint clips, new bushings on UCA mounts w/larger bolts (1/2" I think), 1.25" x .375 tierod, 1.25" x .25 draglink with Chevy 1 ton TRE's, custom trackbar with flex joint at frame end, 12 deg pinion angle with 6 deg positive caster.

What you get - Housing, shafts, tierod/draglink, trackbar and frame bracket, hydro ram, knuckles, outers, brake calipers, spare TRE's for tie rod, spare warn chromo outer shaft, spindle nut socket. Basically everything you need to bolt right in.

What you don't get - 3rd member.

Disclosures - The passenger side had a slight bend in the tube. I had it straightened, trussing added, and C gussets by LostOffroad. It's not going to bend again! The inner axle seals tend to leak, it's done that since day one. Maybe using a different seal is the ticket but never bothered me much.

I've run this axle for 5 years on 35's-37's with no breakage. It's bulletproof on 35's and has been so far for a year on 37's. The CA brackets were set to stock (ish) measurements so should fit any long arm setup. I looked over all the axle splines and they are perfect, no signs of any twisting. Lower ball joints were replaced last year.

$700.

Some various pics:

Last year after the trussing
DSCN0538.jpg

axletruss.jpg

When it was new 5 years ago:
IMG_1903.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

Hmm I want. Picking up my rear 44 today this might be a necessary addition for the front as 35's are also in the near future. let me check the budget.

what's the deal on the 3rd member? How costly would it be to make this a 5x4.5?

I'm keeping the 3rd for my new 609. It would be way easier to just add 1.25" conversion spacers to the rear and run the bigger bolt pattern. But that requires new wheels.

Technically one could ditch the Warn outers and put D30 unitbearing stuff on but that's a step backward IMHO. The Warn outers are stock D60 size in chromo so pretty beefy.

Nice meeting you too. I found we left the spindle socket sitting on the workbench. At least it was a small item we missed, LOL PM me your address and I'll send it to you.

Back