• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 XJ a/c compressor. Help?

Buzzstrike

NAXJA Forum User
A friend of my brought me her 89 XJ and said that the a/c is not putting out cold air.

I finally figured out which port was which, (the damn thing has those valves you have to open with a 1/4 wrench) and the pressures were nuts.

The high side was low and the low side was high with the compressor running.

Her XJ does have a renix 4.0, AW4, disco 30, D35 and almost 290K on it.

From what FSM's I can get ahold of, it looks as if her compressor is toast.

Agree/disagree, any other places to look.

Other common failure points in this system?

With a vehicle that is 21 years old with 290K any part in the ac system could be bad.

Some numbers would be helpful. After the system has been sitting for a while what are your high and low side readings? Then when system is running with the compressor clutch engaged what is it reading?

If your compressor is the problem and your still running R12 those valves will be your best friend. One benefit of the valves is you can replace the compressor without discharging the system.

Sorry it is still a R12 system as far as I can tell. No R134 fittings attached.

With the eng idle at about 800rps. A/c in max cold

the low side was about 80-90 psi and the hight about 110psi.

The XJ has been driving with the a/c (Hey it's Aug in Ga.) for the last three weeks.

I may (if and when she decides) just pull the sys down, flush it, replace the dryer/accum, compressor and refill with Freeze12. (used it in quite a few R12 vehicles and had excellent results).

But she is going through a divorce so, the Jeep is secondary at this point.

With your high and low side so close it looks like the compressor is not doing its job. If your charge is good keep the r12. The system was designed for r12 and you will get much cooler temperatures. Freeze12 is not a replacement for r12 it's mostly r134a with a little r142b as a carrier for the oil. The only reason to use freeze 12 is if you need to run the original oil.

If you’re going to flush the system and replace the drier why not go a little further. Put in some r134a o-rings change the ports and you have a fully functional r134a system. And here is the part to replace those stupid valves http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/air-conditioning/tube-o-suction-and-discharge-fittings-with-r-134a-port-591.php

Back