• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 renix rough idle

Update on the 89. Rough idle is back to normal idle (If there is such a thing, LOL, for a renix). Had an interesting event today with the reverse on it. It does not like to work when cold, but today about 3 pm, I tried to head home, it went right into reverse, then I put it in park for a minute or two to fiddle with some stuff, then back into R and nothing? So I recalled something I read last week, and I switch the power/comfort switch to power, and boom, I had reverse!

What does this mean?????

89 is acting like it is ready for another Dex III transfusion, and the leak must have stopped, as it is still too full (hot) since I last brought the level back up, 2500 miles or so ago. Reverse still does not like the cold weather. It got a new tire last week and replaced the fuel pressure regulator about week ago which solved some rough idle problems...it was leaking fuel into the vacuum line!

On my 87, I changed the plugs, rotor, cap and air filter in my 87. Found a funky electrical connection on one injector, this week, took it for a test drive today. One interesting note, it was driven the last 18 months or so with two different single platinum tip brands of spark plugs. 2 were Autolite and 4 were Bosch. The Bosch still looked brand new-clean, the Autolites had some carbon fouling, they were on the front two cylinders. The Cap and rotor were on their last legs, wires were still good, not very old yet. Idle has dropped from 750 to 550 for as yet unknown reasons.

Power/Comfort switch should have no effect on Reverse engagement.
You have proved the value of confirmed good tune-up hardware!!
Do another transfusion on the trans and it could help the delayed Reverse engagement.
Have you explored setting the idle properly with the air bleed?

Power/Comfort switch should have no effect on Reverse engagement.
You have proved the value of confirmed good tune-up hardware!!
Do another transfusion on the trans and it could help the delayed Reverse engagement.
Have you explored setting the idle properly with the air bleed?

The idle for the 89 is rock solid now, at 750 rpm. It the 87 with a low idle now. I have not yet tried to tamper (again) with the throttle body minimum air flows, no.

Transfusions have helped in the past on the reverse. I was shocked at the Power switch seeming to affect reverse!!!!!! I will be studying that further!!!

Back