• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 D35...C-clip or not?

hoytinak

NAXJA Forum User
About to order my rear locker (PowerTrax No-Slip). I see they have it for a Dana 35 with C-clip and one without. So, which one do I need for my '89 XJ? (I know it's a D35 but I don't see any markings on it)

Thanks

My parts vehicle has a build date on the driver's door of November 1989, and IS a c-clip axle.

Your right on the borderline, you may have to crack the cover and look.

My parts vehicle has a build date on the driver's door of November 1989, and IS a c-clip axle.

Your right on the borderline, you may have to crack the cover and look.

my 89 axle stamping, dont know the build date, says d35c. which is a non c-clip axle. the c stands for custom.

My d35 c-clip also has the c stamping. It has nothing to do with with being c-clip or not.

My d35 c-clip also has the c stamping. It has nothing to do with with being c-clip or not.

thats new to me. i thought the renix era xj's were all non c-clip d35c and that in 1991 it could either be c-clip or non c-clip.

im not argueing, but are you sure your 89 is a c-clip axle. just asking because its different then what i thought.

thanks

Have put lockers in a number of 89-90 XJs. Have seen both in 1989, have always seen c clip in 1990. Not saying that 90s do not have them, just have not ran into one. Also "c" does stand for custom and my understanding is the axle was custom made for AMC\Jeep depending on the year.

don't need to pop the cover, just pop the drum off. non c-clips will have backing plates holding the axle in

thats new to me. i thought the renix era xj's were all non c-clip d35c and that in 1991 it could either be c-clip or non c-clip.

im not argueing, but are you sure your 89 is a c-clip axle. just asking because its different then what i thought.

thanks

You bet. The easiest way to tell what axle you have is to take of the brake drum and look for an axle retaining plate.

retainer.jpg

If you got one of these, you have a non c-clip.

Have put lockers in a number of 89-90 XJs. Have seen both in 1989, have always seen c clip in 1990. Not saying that 90s do not have them, just have not ran into one. Also "c" does stand for custom and my understanding is the axle was custom made for AMC\Jeep depending on the year.

do you know if the c-clip axles in 89/90 still used the 10" drum? again, just wondering because i thought when they went with the c-clip d35 they also switched to 9" drums.

not to hijack, but how do you feel about putting a no-slip into a d35. i ask because since you have done a few installs, i have been debating going with a no-slip in my d35 with 4.10 gearing and 31's. at the time when i regeared, i didnt have the time nor desire to swap axles so instead of swapping in an 8.8 with 4.10 and ls, i would take a chance on the no-slip in the d35.

i am fully aware of the limitations of the d35 and know how people feel about it, but since you have had firtst hand experience with there locker install, you could shed some insight on how you feel about it and if any of the d35's with the locker you installed wiped out the axle shafts.

i also like to add i dont go wheeling as much as i would like, i mostly use it to go up unpaved mountain roads to a cabin and i also go take it on the beaches for surf fishing. hell i really dont even need a locker.

thanks

Well, looks like I'm gonna have to pull it this weekend before I order the locker. Thanks again guys...I'd hate to order the wrong one and have to wait that much longer while I returned it and waited on the right one.

89 could be either C-clip or Non...
I have seen 90's the same way.. but more clipped than not..

The 10 inch drum was not all early axles.. it was part of the tow package plus some others, plus it could be ordered.

The C stood for custom..Dana's designation for any axle delivered incomplete.

You bet. The easiest way to tell what axle you have is to take of the brake drum and look for an axle retaining plate.

retainer.jpg

If you got one of these, you have a non c-clip.

equally as easy, and just as reliable-- look for a hole in the end of the axle shaft where the wheel mates with it. If it's got the hole, it's got the retaining plate and it's non C-clip.

equally as easy, and just as reliable-- look for a hole in the end of the axle shaft where the wheel mates with it. If it's got the hole, it's got the retaining plate and it's non C-clip.

Not sure this is 100% reliable, but all the c-clip D35s I've seen have the rubber butt plug in the diff cover. The hole will also be higher in the cover since the axle bearings are lubed by the gear oil. Which also happens to be the reason you shouldn't swap the older cover with the metal plug onto the c-clip axle.

You can probably just jack up a wheel and see if its got any end play too. The c-clip will have a little in-out play, and the nonclip shouldn't have any unless the bearings are totally nuked.

Do you have a locker up front? I would put a locker up front first.

Back