• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'87 MJ, Is it worth it?

I have an inkling that the 904 might have been swapped in later in the Jeep's life, but plenty of crazy things happened in the AMC-Chrysler transition years. :confused1 It can be hard to track down any hard "facts", especially when parts are so easily swapped.
Jeep on!
--Pete

The guy (my dad's friend) apparently pulled out the auto cause he said the torque converter went out. It is possible it could be something else.

I know he got some sort of manual to put behind it, but I don't know what model. He couldn't figure out how to get it to work cause of "the computer crap".

Are there any driveshaft modifications needed for a manual? The manual would come with the truck too.

My buddy wrecked his MJ by going off a dune and not knowing what was on the other side. A nose dive tweaked the "chassis", destroyed the body, and bent the axle. He has pictures, I'll try to get em to put em up.

Any truck would break nose diving off a dune!

Id start searching the yards for a TC. Or try the one you have, if the guy was trying to get rid of the "computer crap" he doesnt know what hes talking about.

Lol, there's a good chance of that too.
The two yards in town aren't open on the weekend, so I'll check on Monday.

General concensus says it's an AW4?
Do I need to modify the driveshafts to put the manual in?

I had good luck with my personal nose dive. 65 MPH baja over a ledge and balanced on my nose before falling over. Only damage was the side of the body. Everyone says I'm a lucky goon.

feerocknok said:
65 MPH baja over a ledge and balanced on my nose before falling over. Only damage was the side of the body. Everyone says I'm a lucky goon.
...or a Darwin Candidate-in-training... :dunno:

Lol, I can only hope otherwise.
Pete M, was on your cardomain. Now I have to get it. Your MJ is freaking sweet.

Can't get the truck till at least Tuesday. Not gonna tell any friends about it till I drive it to them.

Thanks for all the help. Just hope I can find a torque converter or find out if the old driveshafts'll work with the manual.

Back