• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 Cherokee

87CherokeeChief

NAXJA Forum User
So lately i have been contemplating selling the jeep because i dont like to drive it anymore. too much of a hassle, its kinda old, and mainly because i dont think it is very safe. so basically im trying to get an idea of its worth and was hoping some of yall here might be able to help me out.

87 Cherokee Chief
4.0L 5spd
3" lift with 31s(full size spare)
RRO rock rails and front diff guard
suprisingly clean inside

so thats a basic idea of what i have. i would appriciate any input or any questions

Brett

87CherokeeChief said:
So lately i have been contemplating selling the jeep because i dont like to drive it anymore. too much of a hassle, its kinda old, and mainly because i dont think it is very safe. so basically im trying to get an idea of its worth and was hoping some of yall here might be able to help me out.

Somewhere between a grand and $1500, less depending on why you say it's unsafe. Friend of mine bought a really clean '89 Limited a few months back for $1500 with a similar mileage; I'm using that as a yardstick in this case.

BTW, why do you say it's unsafe? Just a personal preference, or are there issues that really affect its overall roadworthiness? Hearing that makes me a little concerned for the overall condition and price would be adjusted accordingly.

I would be surprised if the add-ons will add anything to the final value. Where I'm from, an 87 4x4 with 4.0 goes for $900-$3000 USD, depending on options and condition...

well i paid 1500 for it...i say unsafe just because of the tires. its completely road worthy. the tires are retreads which in itself isnt a problem. its more the tread pattern. OTR MUDS is what they are...basically deep lugs with no siping or anything so they slide extremely easy in the wet weather.

How new are the tires? My local tire guy will still sipe tires that have 75% or better tread left. Siping makes a really big difference on wet roads...

$0-2000 depending on condition.

I bought my 87' 2 door (d44, 4.0, 231, aw4, skids) for $800, mechanically it was fine, but visually it was piss poor.

I don't plan on selling it anytime soon.

Bought my 87' XJ Wag for $300.... needed some work....

Don't plan on selling it either...

the tires are fairly new, id say near 75% tread left. maybe a little less. I would be psyched if i could get 3000 for it. still a loss for me but that is pretty much expected with jeeps and aftermarket crap.

87CherokeeChief said:
I would be psyched if i could get 3000 for it. still a loss for me but that is pretty much expected with jeeps and aftermarket crap.

Honestly... Not to be a jerk about it, but I think you'll be lucky to see half that, maybe two grand if someone's really jazzed over the mods. When I was helping my friend look for the '89 Limited he eventually wound up with a few months ago, we were finding post-HO models with lower mileages in the $3000 range.

Check cars.com to get an idea of the prices in your area. Obviously prices vary by region, but being realistic it's a 19-year-old XJ. There are a lot of them out there, and mods or not they're not a hard-to-come-by vehicle.

Back