• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

85 xj motor swap

white hawk

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I am getting a 85 xj for free with a bad 2.5l in it. I want to swap it for a 3.4 or a 3.8. I have a parts list for the 3.4 except what clutch to use. I need one for the 3.8. I have been searching for days.
Thanks

OK I am no expert on this by any means. In fact over at the Jeep Comanche forum there a lot of guys who did 3.4 liter conversions. You might want to talk to some of those guys.

That said, I think you may have to do some head scratching to engineer a suitable solution to your clutch issue. I am using data for a 1995 Pontiac Firebird 3.4 liter V6. I am going to assume that you want to maintain your stock transmission (AX5). It will hold up if you don't abuse it to the 3.4 V6 but don't push your luck. They are relatively frail transmissions. It may be in this year that you have the Pugeot transmission. Let's hope this isn't true for the purposes of my post.

Looks like on the Firebird the clutch diameter is 9 11/16. Spline diameter is 1 1/8" and spline count is 26. By comparison the 1985 Jeep Cherokee V6 (and 4 banger) uses a clutch diameter of 9 1/8", spline diameter of 1" and a 14 spline count.

SOME 4 cylinder Cherokees got a 9 11/16" clutch diameter. I cannot verify the spline diameter or count so go figure. Might be worth investigating. This may be only for the ones that received Pugeot transmissions but that is my speculation only.

Now I can see this going down several ways. First you can see if the flywheel from your blown 2.5 liter can be used on the 3.4 liter. This will allow you to use the Jeep clutch kit and pressure plate. Assuming there is no special offset or interference you will be golden. I think this would be ideal.

The other way I see this happening is to retain the original Firebird flywheel, grab a 9 11/16" Jeep clutch disc and retain the original Firebird pressure plate and release bearing. This might or might not be possible though since your release bearing ay not be adaptable to your clutch fork, and it is possible that the GM Firebird pressure plate will be incompatible with the Jeep release bearing. One thing to check if you go this route is if the 9 11/16" Jeep flex plate matches up to the Firebird flywheel. If it all lines up then you might be in business this way too.

My only experience in this matter comes with my personal struggle with my '85/'86 hybrid swap from a V6 to an original renault turbo diesel. There are others who can probably steer you better.

And best of luck as even the early AMC gas engined Cherokees are getting obscure to find parts for.

I hope this has in some way helped. :)

Don't re-invent the wheel.

Call Advance Adapters or Novak, or both. If it has been done, they know how to do it.

Adapting the AX15 needs an adapter. About 300 clams from Novak. Make sure you select the correct pilot bushing. Of course that's a whole different barrel of monkeys because I think the AX15 uses a larger input shaft.

Of course rumor is the Dodge Dakota 4 cylinder briefly used the AX15. That 4 cylinder bellhousing should bolt right up to the V6 block. I am unsure if the input shaft is the same on the Dakota AX15 is the same as on the Jeep. Otherwise you will need the aforementioned adapter.

Of course as Joe suggested it's probably easier to not reinvent the wheel. Depending on your budget though you might save by inventing your own solutions to problems like this.

And again my thoughts are not expert opinions. :)

Back