• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 rear axle swap??? need input!

jamesschimmel

NAXJA Forum User
i have a dana 44 with disk in the rear currently. but i am going to regear it to 410 to match my front... or i could buy a 8.8 with 410 (i think) and disk for $150ish. is it a straight bolt in? is it worth it? it is off of a ford explorer 2002

also if i do this i will be selling the 44. it has stock gears, disk breaks, and a riddler cover.

what do you think??:read:

i have a dana 44 with disk in the rear currently. but i am going to regear it to 410 to match my front... or i could buy a 8.8 with 410 (i think) and disk for $150ish. is it a straight bolt in? is it worth it? it is off of a ford explorer 2002

also if i do this i will be selling the 44. it has stock gears, disk breaks, and a riddler cover.

what do you think??:read:

Not be a pain in the ass, but you will probably have better responses in the mod tech forum.

I wish I could be more help to you, sorry.

I did a 8.8 swap. Pretty straight forward. But I replaced the 8.25 with drum brakes.
IMHO you will not gain much for the time and money. You already have disc brakes and the 44 axle is so close the to 8.8 in strength, I don't see the need to spend the money.

just spring perches really and adapt the driveshaft, its an inch narrower than the 44 but no biggie its rated at a higher torque rating by over 1000 ft lbs than the 44 and discs and 4.10's are nice, find a factory lsd maybe too...
if you have one for 150 and you dont buy it i will

he actually agreed to $100 :) the only problemis he thinks mine is junk and want my axle so he can get his to the junk yard earlier. i told him i have a nive d44 and i cant give it to him, so we'll see what he says. if its doesnt work out jon ill pm you his email adress

hey thanks :) im not sure if i can drive out there tho. im in santa cruz so it might be more work then its worth. im gonna see what he says back and i might just let jon take it.

so it has 4.10s for sure?
there are a couple cherokees being parted out on craigslist in boulder creek buy on of their old rears!
dont give your 44 to the junkyard!
sell it!
tell him the junkyard will take his heap without a rear axle as well
lemme know about the 8.8....

haha ya there is no way i was give him my axle!! and there isnt much point in buying on off jeep cuz im just looking for a stronger one. so unless they did a swap i dont think they would have anything.

Back