• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 question

hillbilly_jeeper

NAXJA Member #1081
Just wondering, i can get an 8.8 out of a 98 ford ranger with about 120,000 miles on it for free. would this be a worthwile upgrade from my 27 spline 8.25? the 8.8 is open with 3:73 gear, my 8.25 is a new trac-lock with 3:55. the 8.8 is ABS, does that make a diffence, would anythign need to be done about that? any info would be apreciated.

yeah, i dont really know anything about the 8.8 axles. its just sitting there free for the taking. now, im running 32's now, and will be going to 33's. since both ables need re-gear, would i just be better off putting a locker and 29 spline axles in my 8.25? im going to 4.56 gears.
thanks

Well... You could upgrade the 24 spline to 31 spline. Pull a shaft and count it so you know for sure what it is.

hillbilly_jeeper said:
yeah, i dont really know anything about the 8.8 axles. its just sitting there free for the taking. now, im running 32's now, and will be going to 33's. since both ables need re-gear, would i just be better off putting a locker and 29 spline axles in my 8.25? im going to 4.56 gears.
thanks

If you weren't going to use a full carrier replacement locker in the 8.25 (like a Detroit or an ARB) you need to include the cost of a new/used 29 spline carrier.

bburge

bburge said:
If you weren't going to use a full carrier replacement locker in the 8.25 (like a Detroit or an ARB) you need to include the cost of a new/used 29 spline carrier.

bburge

maybe a stupid question, but whats the diffence in the carriers? i would think sline count would be determined by spider gears??

All 8.8's in Rangers had "28" or 31 spline axles. If it's free open it up count em'. If you are doing an ARB or Detroit locker then the 8.25 is fine. Gear ratios & parts are more plentiful for the 8.8. Something to consider as well.
They made a lot of 8.25 cherokees, but they made even more 8.8 Explorers too. Either one will be good for that application.

hillbilly_jeeper said:
maybe a stupid question, but whats the diffence in the carriers? i would think sline count would be determined by spider gears??

Not a stupid question, but a little known fact. The axles are a little larger in diameter; so the holes in the side for the axles are to small for the 29 spline axles.

Cost a lot of headache and some money to find this out the hard way....

bburge

bburge said:
Not a stupid question, but a little known fact. The axles are a little larger in diameter; so the holes in the side for the axles are to small for the 29 spline axles.

Cost a lot of headache and some money to find this out the hard way....

bburge

So, are we talking something that could be cured with a little bit of work with the lathe and milling machine(since we have then sitting in our shop!) or not worth the effort and cost savings?

Back