• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8" part question

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I need to redo my outer axle bearings and seals in my 8.8. I found the drivers side seal was leaking and it was recommended to go ahead and change the bearings. Since I have to remove the cover, I've made contact to get a PowerTrax lunchbox locker for the rear.

My question is what brand of bearings are the better ones to go with? I've always been a Timken guy but no one seems to have them in stock. Everything is Duralast, MasterPro, etc which I'm guessing is all Chinese.

Any recommendations?

It looks like the Timken number is 6408 and the rear seal is a National 8835S.

Koyo is another good brand to consider. I've always had good luck with those.

Tried Rock Auto or Amazon? I found a good price on a koyo bearing for my tcase last month on Amazon with prime shipping.

Rock Auto shows some off brand bearings and SKF. No listing on Koyo or Timken.

May be a little more pricey but what about the ford stealership?

I found the Motorcraft numbers so I can go that route. As many 8.8's are on the road, surely they would have them.

The place I used to work for, a Japanese company, used Koyo bearings quite a bit in their industrial applications. They considered them top notch, so I wouldn't hesitate to use them. Should be a Japan product as opposed to some of the Chinese brands out there.

The place I used to work for, a Japanese company, used Koyo bearings quite a bit in their industrial applications. They considered them top notch, so I wouldn't hesitate to use them. Should be a Japan product as opposed to some of the Chinese brands out there.

That's good info.

I found out that Ratech bearings are Koyo/Torrington. I might go that route.

Last edited:
I went to Amazon and got Timken bearings and National seals ordered for the axle. The locker is here so work begins soon.

Got my bearings. They are Made In The USA. I feel good using them. They look kinda small but the part number is correct for the 8.8.

Back