• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 ebrake cables for an '01

arnold

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

I've been running a couple of years without ebrakes and figured I better get them hooked up. I know MORE has them for $125 but I'm assuming there getting them off the shelf from somewhere. Is there a vehicle I can get them off of at the picknpull? I searched :compwork: but I suck at searching and was getting a headache.

Wes.

Wes -- I have a couple really long ebrake cables from an Isuzu rodeo in my garage, you are welcome to them at the low low limited time price of... free. Might work for ya?

Frank, I tossed my factory cables long ago, so I can't go that route, but I finally found that picture you're referring to. I thought you went nuts on me there for awhile but I see now I'm just SLOW. If the cables chris has doesn't work I'll be on the look out for some stockers to try.

chris, I can come by and grab those and give them a try, Sunday or Monday should work for me.

jwtrapper, I looked at a GC and the one i was looking at wouldn't have worked, may have been a different year?

ZJ cables work as long as they came from a disc brake axle. You just have use a longer all thread since the cables are shorter. I have the 8.8 with discs in my XJ.

YJ & XJ STUFF:

From M.O.R.E.
-XJ Installation Kit P/N 98600 84-2001 XJ
-XJ E-Brake Cable Kit P/N EB3 Disc Brake F8.8 Only
-Special Yoke P/N 221379 F8.8 to 1310 U-Joint

From Dealership:
-Mopar spring perches
-Tabs for shock mounts
-ZJ ebrake cables from the dealer (for XJ install)
-Flange from spicer dealer $30 (have seen this go from $20-$50)

http://www.jeepz.com/forum/drivetrain/22706-8-8-rear-axle-swap.html

ZJ cables work as long as they came from a disc brake axle. You just have use a longer all thread since the cables are shorter. I have the 8.8 with discs in my XJ.

thanks but i've been running with the axle for quite some time now. however, the GC i looked at the ebrake cables connected at the center of the vehicle by the tcase, my cable will connect on the drivers side "frame rail", it didn't seem like the cables were nearly long enough to reach the passenger side of the axle, and would've been way too long for the drivers side. It's been awhile since I looked for cables, maybe i'm not remembering right. Anyways, I'll try the cables Chris has or just try to track down some stock cables and hook them up the way Frank suggested, that actually seems the easiest.

thanks but i've been running with the axle for quite some time now. however, the GC i looked at the ebrake cables connected at the center of the vehicle by the tcase, my cable will connect on the drivers side "frame rail", it didn't seem like the cables were nearly long enough to reach the passenger side of the axle, and would've been way too long for the drivers side. It's been awhile since I looked for cables, maybe i'm not remembering right. Anyways, I'll try the cables Chris has or just try to track down some stock cables and hook them up the way Frank suggested, that actually seems the easiest.
I figured from your post you had been running it for awhile. My XJ is a 89 prob why the cables are different. Anyway another option is to take stock cables and cut the end off and have a loop made and crimped. This link shows how a guy made his own. I guess lowes can make the crimp for ya.

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?p=182612

thanks but i've been running with the axle for quite some time now. however, the GC i looked at the ebrake cables connected at the center of the vehicle by the tcase, my cable will connect on the drivers side "frame rail"

Move it. :doh: All I did was pulled everything from the zj and drilled some holes and mounted it in the same place on mine. Ran 4 bolts through the floor hooked up the cables adjusted them a bit and it was done. The zj cable will work and it gets the bracket off of your frame rail and up out of the way.

I just bought the M.O.R.E. ones. I was being lazy and didnt want to have to do all that thinking about it. And my fab skills suck.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll be able to get it knocked out now.

wes, if you want mine, give me a ring, I should be around on Sunday. When I did a disc conversion on my last XJ, I used the stock cable with wire clamps from home depot, worked fine. there are lots of ways to skin this cat. the cables I ahve are for a disc brake axle, so perhaps they will work without much effort...

edit: actually, I am using stock cables from my formerly drum axle on my current Isuzu discs, but they actually use a drum ebrake, so a little bit different.

Back