• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 Clearing this up!

I found a 8.8 out of a 97 explorer for 180$ from disk to disk. I have to pull it myself. Is that a good deal?
Not bad a deal. I paid 60 bucks for mine. But I have heard 300 and still had to pull yourself. If it has 4.10 or 3.73 I would say ya. Cause if go to 4.56s you can sell the 4.10 or 3.73 on ebay for about 100 bucks. Since they fit Mustangs.

Not bad a deal. I paid 60 bucks for mine. But I have heard 300 and still had to pull yourself. If it has 4.10 or 3.73 I would say ya. Cause if go to 4.56s you can sell the 4.10 or 3.73 on ebay for about 100 bucks. Since they fit Mustangs.

Thanks I dont have a clue on the gears or what not.. I saw that in the junkyard and dang Impulse buying kicked in.. i was debateing on getting it.

Im gonna go 4.56 when i do get one. I was thinking on getting it and stripping it and cleaning it up and repainting it.

I got my 8.8 for cheap, ditched the stock gears and carrier as it is weak, spent 550 bought the super 8.8 kit, widens the oal and eliminates c-clips. Also have a Detroit and 4.88 gears for another 500, so it was about 1100 for the whole project, but I bet I can run 37 " tires or bigger without sweat?

Make sure your read the articles here and search the net for super 8.8 it's a easy modification. I think it's worth it too. Just my 2cents

it's funny everyone sees different things in different areas - at my local u-pull it yard there were about 75 vehicles (explorers, mountaineers and mazda navajo's) and 90% of them were axle code 41 which is 3.27 gears open diff - one....ONE of them had the axle code 42 which is what I was looking for (4.10 open) and the rear was already gone out of it - so I ended up getting it at a non u-pull it place for $200 instead of the $60 I coulda got it there for but I wanted the right gearing because I didnt want to mess with that

$60 is crazy! I've never seen anyone sell one for that low. But to answer your question derrickdrew17, $180 is still not bad. I paid $150 for mine with 4.10s and limited slip and it was already pulled for me but there's only one place near me that sells them that cheap. Most others are $200 and up.

I called junkyards once asking how much to pick up either a 44 or an 8.8 and was told 600-1000 depending on the options for either.

At a local u pull it any rear from a truck is $90. And i got my 62" with 9" on half price day.

I found one at a yard (already pulled) with 4.10s, disk brakes, and a LSD. They wanted $400.

I'm constantly amazed at the difference in price for these things.

I almost bought it, but I found a 29 spline 8.25 for $40. Just couldn't pass it up.

Back