• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 Swap

That picture is my axle...I feel like a wanker...do I have the 8.25 then? Its a 99 sport with the AW4...I thought it was the D35.....

If it has that bottom lip then yes, you have the 29 spline Chrysler 8.25

And I don't care what anybody says, UNLESS you plan on beating the piss out of it with locked 38"s then its more than capable of getting the job done.

So why couldn't i just buy a ....96(if they changed in 97) XJ e-brake cable, for a 8.25?
what year did they start putting the 8.25 in the XJ any ways.

Flash.

If memory serves, XJs started using 8.25s around '91.

If you happen to have the rear cover off for any reason, you may want to check the spider gears for wear while you're in there, and if they're worn, you could at this time replace them with an aftermarket locker if you've considered installing one.

XJeepified said:
Well, since the picture in question is off my site, let me field this one. http://yuccaman.com/jeep/gear1.html

The C8.25, used 91-01 in non-ABS XJs.
axle_825.jpg

The D35, used 84-01...in 1991 and later, if you had ABS, you had the D35.
axle_d35.jpg

As for the e-brake cables...unplug the existing ones from the D35, and pop them into the C8.25 when you do the swap. Centering pins shouldn't be a problem either, unless you've swapped to the larger RE centering pin at some point.

The u-bolt plate is slotted so that shouldn't be an isue. Really, the only thing you should end up needing when switching to a C8.25 will be the larger (wider) u-bolts. C8.25 tubes are 3.00" diameter, where the D35 was a scrawny 2.62"

Jim
www.yuccaman.com

Hahaha I have no ABS and its the 8.25! Sweet! Now I DONT have to pay money for the swap because I have it.
I feel like a dork because it's been so long (about 3 years since I worked at a chrysler dealer) since I have seen an 8.25. The previous owner thought it was a D35...now I realize what a deal I got...:D

XJeepified said:

If you happen to have the rear cover off for any reason, you may want to check the spider gears for wear while you're in there, and if they're worn, you could at this time replace them with an aftermarket locker if you've considered installing one.

the one I'm getting all ready has on in it. (poss no locker)

flash.

As for the e-brake cables...unplug the existing ones from the D35, and pop them into the C8.25 when you do the swap. Centering pins shouldn't be a problem either, unless you've swapped to the larger RE centering pin at some point.

The u-bolt plate is slotted so that shouldn't be an isue. Really, the only thing you should end up needing when switching to a C8.25 will be the larger (wider) u-bolts. C8.25 tubes are 3.00" diameter, where the D35 was a scrawny 2.62"

Jim
www.yuccaman.com

Jim, Thank you! thats what i wanted to know!

i am working on this swap right now, I have a 96 stick shift, and got a axle from a 01 auto basically for the gearing. The 97 & up has a different style e-brake set up, if you did not grab the whole entire e-brake set up from the donor axle you most likely will be able to re-use your existing cables, you will just have to take off your drums and unhook the old. If you have to lengthen them a few inches try a threaded rod with a adapter.
The 97 + has a different ebrake set up than pre 97s. The ebrake adjuster on the newer models is mounted on the driverside frame rail then goes to the handle. The pre 97s the adjuster is in the center of the trans tunnel.

The bottom lip on the housing is the key....8.25 housing has that big lip on the bottom...a 35 has a rounded bottom...and USUALLY the cover on the 35 is attached with torx bolts....

the 8.25 is good swap im running 35s and a detroit and im not so light on the throttle and its held with no problem the 8.25 has a three inch axle tube and the 35 is like 2 5/8 tube but if u just look for the larger tube you'll find what your looking for wiht no problem

MrShaft696 said:
i am working on this swap right now, I have a 96 stick shift, and got a axle from a 01 auto basically for the gearing. The 97 & up has a different style e-brake set up, if you did not grab the whole entire e-brake set up from the donor axle you most likely will be able to re-use your existing cables, you will just have to take off your drums and unhook the old. If you have to lengthen them a few inches try a threaded rod with a adapter.
The 97 + has a different ebrake set up than pre 97s. The ebrake adjuster on the newer models is mounted on the driverside frame rail then goes to the handle. The pre 97s the adjuster is in the center of the trans tunnel.

Thats how my 89 hooks to the body also.

looks like i will need to check the e-brake cables part number, to be sure, if a 89 D35 and a 96 CHY8.25 are the same part number.......if so then I'm set!

Flash

Back