• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6th Annual Reno Run (Memorial Weekend 2016)

Rig requirements:

Prison Hill:
Open to all rigs. Prison Hill is a recreation area, not really a trail however we do take a certain path up the mountain. If you don't feel comfortable doing an obstacle, don't do it. There is a trail that parallels the hard stuff that can serve as a bypass. Or, feel free to park your rig at the bottom and ride with someone that has an open seat. Prison Hill is just as fun to spectate as it is to drive. There is no need to air down for PH because the rocks are so grippy and it will make it harder to turn if you don't have assist.

Steve's Loop:
Recommend at least 31" tires. Less can work but you will have difficulty on a few hard obstacles and will need to be pulled or winched. Risk of body damage is low (except for rocker panels), but if you are close to the ground your undercarriage can get beat up. Guys with bigger tires can have difficulty in a few spots.

Bronco Canyon:
Minimum 31" tires and recommend having at least one locker. There are optional lines and some bypasses. It will be a struggle for guys with 31's but with good spotting and good driving, it is very doable. Do not let these requirements fool you - Bronco Canyon has some gnarly obstacles and guys with built rigs can get get body damage and the risk of breakage is high.

Alan's optional Hard run:
Check with Alan, however I would plan on at least 35's and a good likelyhood of damage.

All trails:
- Make sure your rig is in good working condition and any known mechanical issues are taken care of before starting the trail. Steve's Loop, and moreso Bronco Canyon are far away from pavement. You do not want to break down out there.
- Make sure you have a spare tire and adequate spare parts for your needs, along with tools to fix.
- Carry a fire extinguisher and first aid kit.
- Carry a jack and tow strap (without hooks).
- Bring food, water, sunscreen, etc (see below)

Other notes:
Getting to Steve's Loop will take some time since it is about an hour from center of town. We will stop to gas up and get food for lunch on the way. It doesn't take a full day to do Steve's Loop but depending on the group size, plan on a full day from leaving camp to getting back. Steve's Loop is a great trail to drive, watch others on the hard spots, and we will break for lunch at a really cool spot.

Bronco Canyon is a full day run. Similar to Steve's Loop we will stop for supplies before leaving. Make sure your gas tank is at least 3/4" full. There will be a significant amount of offroad driving before we reach the canyon, so plan on airing down.

Last edited:
I'm planning on running shakedown canyon on saturday and depending on time billybob or twister on the way out. I'd rec 35s lockers and armor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Just paid up. See you all out there!

Thanks for the run-down Eric.

Gas tank skid and ZJ steering. Rock sliders are on the to-do list, but I bought this rig for $800 so I'm not going to cry over a little rocker damage.

The Zj steering will hold up fine. Sounds like you're set! Other than sliders, but if you bash the rockers you can always do the 2x6 rocker replacement.

Is anyone leaving Friday afternoon/evening from the Bay Area or sac?

I am leaving sacramento Thursday around 2-3 pm, check in at the hotel for the night, and then go out and wheel. I plan to do the night run on Bud Canyon with Alan that night.

I threw like 7 pieces of firewood in the back kinda crammed around my gear wherever it would fit. I might grab a duraflame as a lazy mans firestarter if I actually remember to grab one.

I am leaving sacramento Thursday around 2-3 pm, check in at the hotel for the night, and then go out and wheel. I plan to do the night run on Bud Canyon with Alan that night.

I threw like 7 pieces of firewood in the back kinda crammed around my gear wherever it would fit. I might grab a duraflame as a lazy mans firestarter if I actually remember to grab one.

Just don't forget the dutch oven! :flame:

Just don't forget the dutch oven! :flame:

LOL. I was going to save that for SF, but I might bring it to renofest also!!!

Now that it's closer do we have an idea on when prison hill run will start Friday? Also when is the campground avalaible to come and start setting up camp?

Mike, I'm leaving from salinas at 5pm if you want to caravan over the pass. Meet somewhere just past Sacramento?

Now that it's closer do we have an idea on when prison hill run will start Friday? Also when is the campground avalaible to come and start setting up camp?

Website says check-in is at 12:00. I plan on being there at that time.

We want to do prison Hill during the daylight hours so I would say we should leave the campground between 3pm and 5pm.

Website says check-in is at 12:00. I plan on being there at that time.

We want to do prison Hill during the daylight hours so I would say we should leave the campground between 3pm and 5pm.
How long you gonna be out at prison hill? I'm off at 530 and was planning on going straight out there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I will be heading out about 9 am Friday and be at camp around 1 pm. Is that too early to set up camp???

What time is prison hill?

Back