• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$60 Steering Pump & Cooler fix...

Just a thought.....
A friend of mine converted his A/C condenser into a tranny cooler and converted his original tranny cooler into a P/S cooler.
Condensers should be plentiful at the P&Ps.
Plus, they mount right up and have a ton of surface area.

Is it possible to have steering fluid that is too cool??

i.e. stock power steering fluid coolers are usually pretty small and stock tranny coolers are about 3 times larger. Will using a stock tranny cooler as a power steering fluid cooler have any negative effects by keeping the power steering fluid too cool?

How about those of us in the northern areas where we get cold weather?

Bender...
ever get up in the morning in a cold northern winter and fire up the old xj and not been able to steer because the steering lines are frozen?

I have started my jeep in -12* F in the dead of winter and not had any problems with my power steering...

its always flowing, always being used even in the cold it will still heat up. I don't know for sure, so don't quote me on this but i would have to say no, cold weather not a problem...

I am using the tranny cooler from a Ford Tempo. It is almost 10" long x 6" high, and is of the stacked plate style. I got it for $5 in the junkyard, and it has helped alot with heat dissipation. It is small enough to mount just about anywhere that you want, and you can find it with either clamp on style or screw on fitting style to hook up your return hose to.

Back