• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6.8 mpg, check engine light, NSS adjustment, 98 XJ

My exhaust manifold has 2 sections...first section takes care of 3 cylinders, and rear section takes care of 3 cylinders...and there is an 02 sensor upstream and downstream in each section with a mini-cat in between them.

Not really sure...I have not had to take it apart yet, so I don't really know if it comes off in 1 or 2 pieces if that is what you are asking...it does have 2 individual "down pipes" with a min-cat on each that are connected to a "Y" like pipe into one pipe on the next section of the exhaust...

RichP said:
I was behind a chrysler suv, forget the model, looks like a cross between a durango and a pacifica, it was on a car hauler, I counted two extra O2 sensors, one in front of the muffler and one on the tailpipe, whats up with that...

A lot of them are like that. The KJ 3.7 for example has 4, much like the 00-01XJ's.

McQue is correct in his post. This is because there were 2 more oxygen sensors added in 2000.

So, to recap. Pre 2000 = two Oxygen sensors. One upstream, one downstream. The upstream controls air/fuel ratio, the one downstream mointors the converter.

2000+ there are 4 oxygen sensors. All 4 control air/fuel ratio, with the downstream ones working in conjunction with the upstream.

McQue, an '01 is much different.
The P0171 was definitely related to the O2 sensor, as you figured out. From now on, try to search for the P-codes if you can. I had a P0171 problem a while ago, and searching for the code might have gotten you the answer a bit faster.

Back