• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6.5 with 35's. Bad news?

I had thoughts of 4" and 35's.. 6.5" is way overkill for almost anything that involves rock crawling... I'll prolly end up going 33's but i still want a car trailer for transporting it to the trail.

It is?

I wonder how much lift Goatman has on his KOH Jeep? But what does he know?

It is?

I wonder how much lift Goatman has on his KOH Jeep? But what does he know?

He has 4 or 4.5" lift on his race jeep(yellow and blue right?) he's also on 33's with that jeep I believe... Richard and I are decent buddies, KOH is a different world, typically you need 35's or better. But I've had numerous conversations with him about what I should do with my jeep to get the most out of it...

He's also running the currie steering on that jeep and that's designed for a 4" lift... But what do I know ;)

I answered most the your questions on CF, but pretty much what is above goes, brace the frame rails and 6.5" is overkill.

P.S. If you need a stabilizer get hydraulic assist. stabilizers make a steering system with bad geometry "feel" normal, if its setup right you wont need it.

I run 35s on 5 - 5.5" inch lift with no flares at all, and I run 4 hockey pucks per side for bump stops....

ive got the lift done and everything has been fine. a little rubbing in rear. ide like to see how you mounted puck stops. picture or walk through?

You are really pushing stock axles on 35s.

I strongly disagree with this. once fully built, the 30/8.25 combo is great for 35's (full circle snap rings being the biggest factor). if you're breaking D30 chromo/stock axles and spicer ujoints frequently, if ever, you need to learn how to drive. if you start bouncing let off and try again and dont roast them off hoping to catch traction

other than that OP put frame stiffeners on it. you will easily dent the mid section on rocks. the only thing that really cares about lift height is your steering angles

once fully built, the 30/8.25 combo is great for 35's (full circle snap rings being the biggest factor).
[snip]
other than that OP put frame stiffeners on it. you will easily dent the mid section on rocks.

A fully built 30/8.25 are not "stock axles". They're about 1-3K from it depending on your definition of "built" and your ability to do your own work... which will quickly exceed the purchase price of many XJs floating around this board (mine included).

And agree strongly with at least mid stiffeners sooner than later. Welding them on once they're all beat to hell sucks.

A fully built 30/8.25 are not "stock axles". They're about 1-3K from it depending on your definition of "built" and your ability to do your own work... which will quickly exceed the purchase price of many XJs floating around this board (mine included).

when I said stock axles I was referring to stock axle shafts (which held up great for me on 35's. I always thought wheeling a D30 would be like driving on egg shells but it takes it). and no matter how much money you spend on them I still call them stock axles. just "built" stock axles. but theres no point in arguing that

How about rear axle

add some plate to the inside of the u bolt plate and mount one of these to it

71VldcFhSUL._SL1500_.jpg

I know its over kill but i normally play in mud not rocks. Anyways i have an 8" with 2.5"pucks and 8" rear with shackle relocation to make it 12.5" in rear. With 37s on stock axles yukon rear shafts and true lock limited slip locker and rear disc swap, front is about to get a truss but just has an aussie limited slip locker. Mine handles awesome down the road on trails and awesome in the mud. Plan to do 60/60 swap soon.

I have gone without a stabilizer for two years, I plan to add one just to smooth out the steering response

No need for two!

I know its over kill but i normally play in mud not rocks. Anyways i have an 8" with 2.5"pucks and 8" rear with shackle relocation to make it 12.5" in rear. With 37s on stock axles yukon rear shafts and true lock limited slip locker and rear disc swap, front is about to get a truss but just has an aussie limited slip locker. Mine handles awesome down the road on trails and awesome in the mud. Plan to do 60/60 swap soon.

What RP relation do you have?
Any pictures of your rig?

He has 4 or 4.5" lift on his race jeep(yellow and blue right?) he's also on 33's with that jeep I believe... Richard and I are decent buddies, KOH is a different world, typically you need 35's or better. But I've had numerous conversations with him about what I should do with my jeep to get the most out of it...

He's also running the currie steering on that jeep and that's designed for a 4" lift... But what do I know ;)

Starboard was referring to 4643 I believe.

The race jeep has been running 35" tires, 6" of lift at least and has never had currie steering.

Holy stock steering batman!! XJ redneck does your jeep have any droop at all??

Starboard was referring to 4643 I believe.

The race jeep has been running 35" tires, 6" of lift at least and has never had currie steering.

He has like 3-4 different Cherokees, but ya his race jeep may have 6" on 35's

Last edited:
Back