• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6:00Am and just got done pushing my jeep help!!

ok new alt in and it runs smooth now with my foot on the gas but the second I take it off the same thing happens it dies. its very responsive just has no idle at all.
TPS?? maybe..

ok new alt in and it runs smooth now with my foot on the gas but the second I take it off the same thing happens it dies. its very responsive just has no idle at all.
TPS?? maybe..

With all the electral problems you've been having I'm not sure of this, but try dropping the negative battery cable for 30 minutes. Re-attach and try starting and idling again. Check all the connections to your sensors, especially to the TPS.

Im not throwing any codes. and I had the battery disconected a couple of times and still no Idle? its really starting to get me mad!! what is the best way to check grounds?

Im not throwing any codes. and I had the battery disconected a couple of times and still no Idle? its really starting to get me mad!! what is the best way to check grounds?

Use a DVM and measure the resistance between the questionable ground spot and the block.

I would work this a seperate problem. It makes sense that it has something to do with the battery, alternator problem but sometimes it's just another problem that happens.

If you work the idling problem by itself, you may find that the battery, alternator caused the problem, but that will be after you have fixed it.

Do the disconnect battery thing, start it up and drive it, don't just let it sit there and idle, or disconnect, reconnect, start it up and manually run the throttle up to 3,000 and hold it there for a couple of minutes. I had a dead spot in my 98XJ for over a year and just lived with it, when I replaced the alt and it sat over nite disconnected and I after I did the repair the dead spot went away.

Richp: IT WORKED!!!!! she runs like a top... it was a rough drive for about 7 blocks but I came to a stop sign and it started to idle on its own.. Im gona get a TPS next week and thow it in just in case I got the one thats on there now from a junk yard about a year ago so its bound to go some time. anyway thank you all again for your help. maybe the next post will be about a lift!!

Reminds me of when one of my vaccum lines came loose...but mine turned off and I didn't even know until I tried to turn the wheel or touch the brakes (going down a long long hill). However mine started right back up until like the 5th time it died.

~Scott

Richp: IT WORKED!!!!! she runs like a top... it was a rough drive for about 7 blocks but I came to a stop sign and it started to idle on its own.. Im gona get a TPS next week and thow it in just in case I got the one thats on there now from a junk yard about a year ago so its bound to go some time. anyway thank you all again for your help. maybe the next post will be about a lift!!

Get a new TPS. $50

I think RichP and NAXJA have earned your membership $$. This site is valuable because of the people on it.

Back