• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 not working and making all kinds of noise.

Ok, try this:

1. Remove the linkage between the body and the transfer case.

2. Shift the transfer case into 4lo and drive it around in the dirt--see if it does or doesn't screw up.

3. If it does screw up, then likely you have issues in the case itself. If it doesn't screw up, then the linkage is pulling it out of gear and you will have to consider going to a body-independent linkage, either from AA or Novak. I am running the AA one and it completely ended my issues.

I'll definitely give this a shot... What did that kit run you?

My old 242 did this same thing... I replaced the chain and it still did it, only under stress. You could watch the front driveshaft bounce like it was turning both directions but couldn't do anything... I used this as an excuse to put in a 231....

I'll definitely give this a shot... What did that kit run you?

The AA "kit" is essentially a bracket that eliminates the body mount for the shifter. Part No. 715542 for $38.33--NOTE: this is listed for the TJ, but works on the XJ with a couple pieces from the TJ shifter, I bought those at the recycler for $15 bucks.

The AA "kit" is essentially a bracket that eliminates the body mount for the shifter. Part No. 715542 for $38.33--NOTE: this is listed for the TJ, but works on the XJ with a couple pieces from the TJ shifter, I bought those at the recycler for $15 bucks.

im assuming this is the issue so i went ahead and bought the novak cable shifter, if it still has the problem ill atleast have a solid shift mechanism on the new t case that i buy. ive just been lazy and sick so havent had time to disconnect the linkage and check. thanks for all your help, Joe(and everyone else).

Nate.

Back