• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4" springs ... currie/jeepspeed?

You're very misguided in regards to leafsprings.
No comment on coils.

Paul

91 Jeep Project said:
I'm gonna have to disagree with that. From what I have researched on BORs, the whole not flexing thing is a load of B.S. Which is one reason I started the thread I did. Once you get them broken in, there awesome. Didn't have on person post in the thread who owned them saying that they sucked and did not flex. All the owners were more than happy. And in a month or two you can add me to that list...............:cheers:

As far as the Deavers go. Ordered a set of their off the shelf 5.5" Coils. When the springs got here they had been SPRAY PAINTED black. Looked like a 5 year old did it, big paint runs all over. On top of that they made it in the box before they were dry. So I had a crap load of cardboard fused to every rung all the way down. I could have received as nicer part from Rusty. If their off the shelf packs are anything like their coils, I'd haul ass in the other direction. For $250, I expect ALOT more........:lecture:

Paul S said:
You're very misguided in regards to leafsprings.
No comment on coils.

Paul

Why dont you enlighten all of us. Next I suppose your gonna say my Rusty's springs dont flex, just cause you dont run them. Is this first hand experience? Have you ran the BOR? or is you info based on heresay? You know I really get tired of the dont run this cause "I heard that...."

jrsxj98 said:
Why dont you enlighten all of us. Next I suppose your gonna say my Rusty's springs dont flex, just cause you dont run them. Is this first hand experience? Have you ran the BOR? or is you info based on heresay? You know I really get tired of the dont run this cause "I heard that...."

Wow, biased much?

Everything I stated is from first hand experience, no hearsay here.
I didn't say anything about Deaver's coils, as I have no first hand experience with them.
I didn't say anything about Rusty's springs, as I have no first hand experience with them, not to mention that Rusty's has nothing to do with this thread so I have no idea why you bring them into it.
I didn't tell anybody what not to run.
I noticed you had no harsh words for 91 Jeep Project, even though he bashed Deaver leafsprings & unless he's keeping it to himself, he's got no experience with them whatsoever.
So, do you have any usefull tech to add to this thread, or are you just going to jump on me for expressing my first hand experience with the springs in question?

Paul

The Deaver-made, Currie-sold springs are very nice. Mine held up very well, sold them with the racecar. The extra wraps on the ends are a very nice touch. Also, there are plastic pads between each leaf to reduce squeaking. With a "boomerang" shakle, you will get 11" of travel from them.

I didn't use them in a "flexy, rock crawling" sort of way, but they really took the beating during races. A tunable shock is required if you intend to do a lot of fast driving. When I found the little pads between the leafs starting to deteriorate, Scott at Deaver just sent me a box of new ones.

As a comparison, Rubicon leafs are $150 each $300 pair.
Deaver/Currie springs are $400 pair.
I have not used the Rubicons, but originally, I paid $600 for those Deavers. They're worth it (depending on how you'll use them).

Paul S said:
I noticed you had no harsh words for 91 Jeep Project, even though he bashed Deaver leafsprings & unless he's keeping it to himself, he's got no experience with them whatsoever.

I in NO way bashed Deaver Leaf Springs or eluded to ever running them myself. I simply stated that if their off the shelf leaf springs were as shitty as their off the shelf coil springs, then my money would be better spent else where..............:lecture:

Justin had no "harsh" words for me because he knows i'm not talking out of my ass. But a statement like "your very misguided in regards to leafsprings" and nothing more, doesn't help your postion at all...............:cheers:

91 Jeep Project said:
I in NO way bashed Deaver Leaf Springs or eluded to ever running them myself. I simply stated that if their off the shelf leaf springs were as shitty as their off the shelf coil springs, then my money would be better spent else where..............:lecture:

Justin had no "harsh" words for me because he knows i'm not talking out of my ass. But a statement like "your very misguided in regards to leafsprings" and nothing more, doesn't help your postion at all...............:cheers:

Paul has no experience with springs or, for that matter with suspension matters at all.

I wouldn't listen to him.

Plus, he doesn't eat meat, which just confirms his shifty nature.

CRASH

I'm not really sure why deaver said the spring were 3" only? Currie says 4" and while the Jeepspeed may be a bit lighter they should be that much lighter then a semi stock XJ. All the rear end pics I have show they full up with spare tires and parts, thats got to add a bit of weight. My Tomkne 4" are shot and need to be replaced.

91 Jeep Project said:

This thread is about leafsprings, & while you did mention coils at one point, it looked to me like you were quite clearly referring to leafsrpings for the most part.
You also said that from your 'research' the whole BOR not flexing thing is B.S.

I was referring to these statements when I said that you are misguided. I did not mean it as a personal insult, I simply meant that you've been fed some bad information.

As far as not helping my position at all, that's just lame. Everything I've stated is based on first hand experience, the fact that you & Justin don't like it doesn't make it wrong to state it. You certainly don't have to follow it, but others reading this thread might want more than hearsay before they buy springs.

Paul

I'm not really sure why deaver said the spring were 3" only? Currie says 4"
yeah i don't get it either... deaver says that currie sells it as part of a 4" kit, which includes
boomerang shackles (to get the extra inch), but the currie site has the pack listed itself as
4" springs. :dunno:

but i figure if deaver makes them and says they're 3", then i suspect they're 3" (and i called
twice and talked to 2 different people just to make sure).
;)

On the 3" or 4" problem.
I have a set of the Currie Sportsman leafs. They are not on the XJ yet as I am working on changing gears.
What I can tell you is that where my 100k+ 94 leafs are 49.25" eye to eye, unladen (practicaly flat, can't get any longer) and my RE 4.5 leafs are 48" eye to eye, unladen. The Currie Sportsman leafs are 50.25" eye to eye, unladen, and without the boomerang shackle, will bind the stock shackle at this unladen length, and heaven help you if you were to try and compress some of the arch out of them, making them longer still! So this 3" leaf (if thats what Deaver is claiming) pretty much has to be run with the boomerang shackle that gives it another inch, therefore, 4" leaf kit, with shackles.
I'll be able to tell you more when they are mounted and broken in, just observations at this time.

I would have loved your input here...................:cheers:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59078

I did mention the coils as a reference to the experience I had with Deaver. I simply stated that IF the leaf springs were of the same quality that I would look elsewhere. I never said not to buy them, Terry is more than welcome to make up his own mind based on what he has researched and heard here. But I do not think the BORs should be ruled out............ :lecture:

thanks for the input... i'll be anxious to see what you think of them once installed (finally
somebody who actually owns a pair).

that's all well & good, except i'm looking to get closer to 6", so i need a 4" or 4.5" pack to
go w/ my extended shackles. ;)

and, FWIW, i just saw on a jeepspeed forum that supposedly RE has (as of last week) just
gone to a longer spring now: 53.5" for the 4.5" packs. :dunno:

RobertF said:
On the 3" or 4" problem.
I have a set of the Currie Sportsman leafs. They are not on the XJ yet as I am working on changing gears.
What I can tell you is that where my 100k+ 94 leafs are 49.25" eye to eye, unladen (practicaly flat, can't get any longer) and my RE 4.5 leafs are 48" eye to eye, unladen. The Currie Sportsman leafs are 50.25" eye to eye, unladen, and without the boomerang shackle, will bind the stock shackle at this unladen length, and heaven help you if you were to try and compress some of the arch out of them, making them longer still! So this 3" leaf (if thats what Deaver is claiming) pretty much has to be run with the boomerang shackle that gives it another inch, therefore, 4" leaf kit, with shackles.
I'll be able to tell you more when they are mounted and broken in, just observations at this time.

well that fully sucks, guess I'll go with tomkens unless I can afford to have som customs ones made. I need 5" total so the 4" leaves are waht I need.

Rusty's makes a 4"-4.5" leaf pack with 10 leafs specifically for competition. 175lb. spring rate. Military double wrap eyes, 4" lift, proven JeepSpeed winner. Price is $400/pair and are in stock.

Using .75" shackles they work great with the ROR405 coils. Call for details and shipping options.

-Stretch

RustysOffroad.com

Don't really like rusty's stuff and don't know about the 175 spring rate, seems high. The tomkens are 165 a side, IIRC. It's on their crappy site somwhere....

Back