• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.88's and HP30

jeepme

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Are 4.88's bad for a locked HP30? I thought I heard that the gears are weak. Has anyone ever broke a 4.88 ring and pinion in HP30. Mine has a ausie locker, warn shafts and hub kit, and I am running 35" tires. I need to change gears and I am just wondering if it is worth getting a d44 rear and putting in 4.88's or keaping my 8.25 with ARB and Dutchman shafts and just going with 4.56's.

thanks

ive run 4.88s in my lockrite'd 30 on the unit-bearing hubs and had no problems with the gears or anything at all. i DID go through hubs quickly, but i dont attribute that to the gears at all. i was light on the throttle though, so that always prevents broken parts (or at least makes them last longer).
-Bennett

I just installed 4.88's and a detroit. I did alot of searching and question asking prior to doing this. The only ones I could find that had problems were guys with alot of horsepower, and spinning large tires at high rpm's, ie mud boggers. Every one I talked to including the reps for superior, yukon, and precision said I shouldn't have a problem.

jeepme said:
Are 4.88's bad for a locked HP30? I thought I heard that the gears are weak. Has anyone ever broke a 4.88 ring and pinion in HP30. Mine has a ausie locker, warn shafts and hub kit, and I am running 35" tires. I need to change gears and I am just wondering if it is worth getting a d44 rear and putting in 4.88's or keaping my 8.25 with ARB and Dutchman shafts and just going with 4.56's.

thanks
I got 4.88's and detroit and they've survived so far Rubicon, couple local trips up to big bear and 6 days of wheeling in Moab. Plus I run stock shafts .

Kejtar said:
I got 4.88's and detroit and they've survived so far Rubicon, couple local trips up to big bear and 6 days of wheeling in Moab. Plus I run stock shafts .
That one trip up Widowmaker was a year's worth of abuse for most people. :D
Seriously, you should be fine with that combo. I'm also running a hub kit with alloy outers and welded 760 u-joints.

BillR said:
That one trip up Widowmaker was a year's worth of abuse for most people. :D
Seriously, you should be fine with that combo. I'm also running a hub kit with alloy outers and welded 760 u-joints.
LOL but there I just spun the tires and there was no bouncing or anything that could be bad for them.

jeepme said:

thanks

Jeff, I think you should buy my xj dana 44 for $400 and gear it up with the front to 4.88's. You will be very happy with it. ;)

Then you can sell your 8.25 for decent $ to get your $ out of it. If you do keep your 8.25 than 4.56 are the lowest you can go which isn't that bad, but not as nice as 4.88 gears. I had a 8.25 so I was only able to get 4.56, but then I bought a rev dana 30 with an arb and then found a xj dana 44 with a detroit and 4.56 gears, so I stayed with 4.56's. It's not worth the $ to go from 4.56 to 4.88 gears so do it when you have the chance.
Troy

a lot of folks are running that ratio. don't worry about it. I am runnign it locked with 33's and CrMo inners.

Great thanks guys now I just got to see if it is worth changing the rear axle to run the 4.88's.

Anybody know what a 29 spl.8.25 with Dutchman shafts and a ARB with 4.10's is worth :D

I'm running the same set-up, except with stock shafts out front: HP30, 4:88's, 760x u-joints, Aussie Locker, 35" BFG's, and stock shafts. I've had no problem whatsoever with the gears. I've broken numerous u-joints, and I've even twisted the splines of the long side inner axle shaft. Gears are fine...

jeepme said:
Great thanks guys now I just got to see if it is worth changing the rear axle to run the 4.88's.

Anybody know what a 29 spl.8.25 with Dutchman shafts and a ARB with 4.10's is worth :D
I'd be interested in your Dutchman shafts, even swap you for my stock shafts so you still have a whole axle to sell.

PM me if you're interested.

Fergie

Back