• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.88 and 33" tires

one thing to keep in mind is that the AX-15 is geared lower than the AW4. i'm running 4.56's with 33's and an AX-15 and i love it. first is real low and its fun to drive, plenty of pickup. it's nice because i can pass in 5th without having to shift down. i have done a bit of highway driving with this setup and wouldnt want to go much lower. just to give you an idea... i have rear disc brakes and when i had my front ds pulled i was playing around in low. i took my foot off the gas pedal and hit the brakes. the jeep stopped rolling and the rear tires just dug into the hard pack dirt. i never hit the gas and the rear tires just kept turning at idle:D . it's geared pretty low but obviously lower is better for wheeling. having said that, i'm very happy with my combo for daily driving and wheeling.

BADaXJ said:
one thing to keep in mind is that the AX-15 is geared lower than the AW4. i'm running 4.56's with 33's and an AX-15 and i love it. first is real low and its fun to drive, plenty of pickup. it's nice because i can pass in 5th without having to shift down. i have done a bit of highway driving with this setup and wouldnt want to go much lower. just to give you an idea... i have rear disc brakes and when i had my front ds pulled i was playing around in low. i took my foot off the gas pedal and hit the brakes. the jeep stopped rolling and the rear tires just dug into the hard pack dirt. i never hit the gas and the rear tires just kept turning at idle:D . it's geared pretty low but obviously lower is better for wheeling. having said that, i'm very happy with my combo for daily driving and wheeling.

torque converter > clutch

i was just saying that two rigs, one with an auto and one with a manual, would have different characteristics(obviously). but from what i've seen, the AX-15 with one step higher gearing is usually comparable to an AW4 equipped rig. and torque converters also generate a significant amount of heat...

BADaXJ said:
i was just saying that two rigs, one with an auto and one with a manual, would have different characteristics(obviously). but from what i've seen, the AX-15 with one step higher gearing is usually comparable to an AW4 equipped rig. and torque converters also generate a significant amount of heat...

When you are at low speed, the transmission isnt generating enough heat for it to matter.

On the highway the torque converter locks up and stops generating heat.

You get more power at the bottom, less RPM's at the top, and its easier to deal with in traffic and on the trail.

do 4.88's. that way when you want to go up to 35's youll still be fine. i went down from 33's to 31's just for a few months on 3.55s , and am planning on 4.88s and 33's by nov. just cuz i know ill want 34's or 35's with a year of doing that! the rule of thumb if regear once if you can help it.

regardless of the opinion that auto is better than manual... the gearing is different enough for it to matter. i've driven both and the ax-15 with the same gears seems lower. thats why they came stock with 3.07's and the AW4's came with 3.55's...

BADaXJ said:
regardless of the opinion that auto is better than manual... the gearing is different enough for it to matter. i've driven both and the ax-15 with the same gears seems lower. thats why they came stock with 3.07's and the AW4's came with 3.55's...

That would be true if you sat in 5th all the time. On the trail, manual transmission rigs need to be geared LOWER than autos, not higher.

The ax-15 is .80:1 5th, the renix aw4 is .70:1, and HO aw4's are .75:1

Its not enough difference to warrant changing gear ratios.

XBoBJ said:
what would you recomend for a 99 5spd xj DD im going 4.10s 33's will that be bad?? im doing 4.10s because i can do it for 450.00 total....

I just ordered (today) 4.56 for dana 30 / chry 8.25, master kits and low gear carrier for the dana 30 - $520 shipped.

I run 3:55's with the aw4 on 33's on my trail rig, I would even consider re-gearing, if im running the back roads i just put it in third and it pulls 2200-2300 rpms at 55mph which isnt terrible, anything over an hour from where i live its on the trailer anyways...

Back