• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.7L WJ throttle body adapter

For opening an intake manifold or TB a flap wheel, as a wheel containing sand paper is round, i.e. honing is concentric.
That isn't a flap wheel, but a sanding drum.
IMO a drill press and sanding flap wheel could be used for a DIY mod, as such.
If you are removing the taper (60mm), yes. Any more going into the blade area and your going to make a paper weight.

I know your the engine guru around here, but theres no reason to be cocky. Hes probably talking about one of these.
6RZHXva.jpg

Its also the wrong tool for the job, and wont be true round.

Here's my $0.02 - to use anything other than a lathe or CNC on the throttle body is a terrible idea. The opening has to be very true to round in order for the butterfly to seat properly.

However I think that to do that to the intake manifold is fine so long as the opening is at least slightly larger than the throttle body port. It can even be a touch out of round. To do it with a sanding wheel / drum will work but will take forever and burn through a few of them. Ask me how I know. I ended up using a carbide barrel cutter on a die grinder.

However I think that to do that to the intake manifold is fine so long as the opening is at least slightly larger than the throttle body port. It can even be a touch out of round. To do it with a sanding wheel / drum will work but will take forever and burn through a few of them. Ask me how I know. I ended up using a carbide barrel cutter on a die grinder.[/QUOTE]

Take the time to open up the bore on an intake manifold. Aluminum is a soft metal. A carbide barrel cutter. Was that fast?....

A heck of a lot faster than every sanding tool I tried. Took about 45 minutes to take the intake manifold from 62mm to 70mm. Plus it makes shaved aluminum rather than aluminum dust that I didn't feel like breathing.

Something like this in 1/4" diameter chucked onto my air die grinder.

Dremel%20Rotary%20Tool%20Bit%209901%20(EN)%20r19775v15.jpg

That seems harsh, using that bit. When you say a touch out of round I imagine that would do it. Didn't aluminum bits clog it? Like rough boring first and then finishing with a sandpaper rounder. 70mm is alright though, and get some thrust at WOT. Yeah I may try this mod myself.

That seems harsh, using that bit. When you say a touch out of round I imagine that would do it. Didn't aluminum bits clog it?

Harsh, yes. But to do it with sandpaper would have taken hours and hours. Concentric round for that opening is not critical in any way. No clogging at all so long as I ran it clean and kept the edges sharp.

Keep in mind, I bored the intake manifold to 70mm purely because I have a supercharger. The whole system is 70mm all the way through including the 4.7L throttle body.

Last edited:
I know your the engine guru around here, but theres no reason to be cocky.
I'm not being cocky, he is just all over the map. He asked about using a BBK TB for a 4.7L, then said that the correct F&B 4.0L 70mm was too much, even though its not much more than the 4.7L V8 BBK, especially when the adapter and throttle arm is considered. Then wanting to bore out a stock TB to 68 or 70mm. At this point i'm not even sure what he is asking.
Hes probably talking about one of these.
6RZHXva.jpg

Its also the wrong tool for the job, and wont be true round.
He did call it the correct name but later he made it sound like a sanding drum.

Something like this in 1/4" diameter chucked onto my air die grinder.

Dremel%20Rotary%20Tool%20Bit%209901%20(EN)%20r19775v15.jpg
Yes, use that then clean it up with the flap wheel or sanding drum. Of course, scribe where you want to cut to first so you have a guide. Wear eye and breathing protection.

Harsh, yes. But to do it with sandpaper would have taken hours and hours. Concentric round for that opening is not critical in any way.
Yes, the manifold opening doesn't have to be perfect and I am sure he can do a much better job than CobraMarty did on his. lol.
No clogging at all so long as I ran it clean and kept the edges sharp.
If clogging is a concern use wax or WD40 on the bit. I've had burrs clog before but I can't recall what I was working on. I usually use wax.

I'm not being cocky. At this point i'm not even sure what he is asking.

You have answered enough of my questions, thanks BTW. It looks like one could also use their MAP sensor with a WJ 4.7l throttle. The placement would have to be mod'd. That and working out a throttle lever. i'll give it a try. And of course ones intake bore. 70mm@WOT. WTF.

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Didn't work for me, My 2001 and 2000 XJ TB's had different sensor plugs, sensors, and much different cable hook ups. The stock XJ TB really cant be opened up much more than 64mm before it gets so thin I would be afraid the air intake tube would vibrate and rip the horn off the TB.

Last edited:
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Didn't work for me, My 2001 and 2000 XJ TB's had different sensor plugs, sensors, and much different cable hook ups. The stock XJ TB really cant be opened up much more than 64mm before it gets so thin I would be afraid the air intake tube would vibrate and rip the horn off the TB.

Images don't work for me.

It is not that it didn't work. It is just the fact that you purchased the wrong throttle body and didn't know what had to be done to complete the swap.

Yes I purchased the wrong throttle body. I wasnt trying to mislead anyone into thinking either a Durango or Grand Cherokee 4.7 TB would not work with the adaptor plate this thread references. I am simply saying that not just any TB from a Durango 4.7 will work as you can see from the photos posted. In the past week I have seen TB's from 4.7 WJ's that look like they will work with the XJ harness. I have yet to see any that will work with the cable setup as is from the factory but it has been mentioned to me that this could be remedied with a little fab work and I agree with that assesment. I was simply trying to help someone else avoid the same issue I had.

Just ordered one yesterday and it will be delivered tomorrow. Now I can finally put the larger TB on my stroker and see if makes a difference. Can't wait!

Alright, I've the TDS throttle body adapter also a 2001 Grand Cherokee throttle. The O.D. of this TB is 3.25". What are U collectively using for cold air intakes for this mod? I've ideas, although I'll have to reply later as I work on it. Opinions welcome, or better implemented CAI that work. This before an Edelbrock head goes on. Again thanks 4.0l to 4.7l people.

I just assembled an intake from Spectre parts sourced from my local Pep Boys (sadly, one of the things they are really useful for is a large selection of intake parts).

It'll be throttle body direct to intake tubing. My previous CAI has a urethane collar with hose clamps. As I don't have a turbo or supercharger.

Back