• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.56 gears at stock height stock tire size

FoMoCo said:
I say go for it, at 80mph it'll be turning ~3400rpm in overdrive which is ~100rpm lower than what it does in 3rd with stock gears, and it'll be absolutely bad ass around town and on the trail :greensmok

x2

Just try driving around in 3rd for a while and see how that suits you. 3200 rpm isn't that bad.

Muad'Dib said:
Ok ill try that ill just leave it in 3.

Isnt 4.56 gears on 32/33's about as close to stock as you can get?

With 3.55s and stockish 29" tires I used to tach 1850 or so at 65 in OD.

With 4.56s and 33s, I tach exactly 2250 at 65 in OD.

I guess it depends upon what size tire you consider "stock", which were, IIRC, actually 215s.

Do keep in mind that bigger tires are also heavier and take more power to turn. Also, a lifted vehicle, especially one with custom bumpers, skids, roof rack, wheeling equipment, etc. is significantly heavier than stock and as such also increases the power needed to keep it moving so being geared a tad lower than stock is good to compensate for that.

Is there no one in your geographical area who was a Jeep with the gears and tires you are considering that you could try? That would put your mind at ease. And I know it is a tough decision--I spent many hours thinking about it and plugging numbers into the various calculators. After all was said and done, I trusted the opinions on the forum here and went 4.56s and am very happy.

No, most NAXJA members are in western Oregon or Washington. I'm probably the rare person east of the cascades. I see a few lifted XJ's around here, but honestly i only trust NAXJA members and their rides. I'm sure a lot of the people around here haven't taken the time or the effort to do things correctly. I see some disgusting lifts on XJ's with huge tires and it just looks plain dumb. I'm sure most of them still run the tirdy five out back!

If was to throw a stroker into the formula here, would that impact my gearing choice slightly?

I don't know why a stroker would effect anything, though I suppose with more torque you might be able to get by with higher gearing. It'll be awhile till my stroker is done (come on KB, with those new pistons!) but I think it will work all the better with my 4.56s.

I really, truly, could have lived with the 235x75s and the 4.56 gears permanently. This is my DD, and even on a long trip (Central Maine to Western MA) it was not that bad with the small tires. If you were on the East coast, I'd let you drive it and see for yourself.

mecompco said:
I don't know why a stroker would effect anything, though I suppose with more torque you might be able to get by with higher gearing. It'll be awhile till my stroker is done (come on KB, with those new pistons!) but I think it will work all the better with my 4.56s.

I really, truly, could have lived with the 235x75s and the 4.56 gears permanently. This is my DD, and even on a long trip (Central Maine to Western MA) it was not that bad with the small tires. If you were on the East coast, I'd let you drive it and see for yourself.

So let me just clarify, you were running 235 75 R15's with 4.56 gears and it ran different, but acceptable?

Thats my current tire size so your experience would be the same as mine in theory. The longest trip i really would ever take (and maybe not) would be from here to Sacramento (approx 400 miles). I usually drive this thing around town, and maybe to Redmond (approx 15 miles) to go hang with a buddy. I do need to start going camping and to the lakes also, so if i do that i could also end up driving to those as well (only vehicle). So realistically im not going to be driving more then 150 miles at a time... but i do like to drive fast! at LEAST 75.

Last edited:
Back