• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4:56 gear install whine - Nervous Nelly?

Mudderoy

NAXJA Forum User
Jeep_gearswap1.jpg

Ok flawless test drive after installation of 4:56 gears, see detail of vehicle below. On the drive home I started to hear a very subtle whine while slowing down at around 30 mph until 19 mph. If I gave it a little gas the whine would stop. "Coast side?"

The only other things I notice different is at 80 mph there is a very subtle oscillating vibration. Might be irritating if I was driving somewhere for several hours.

My questions are:

Major issue?

Get it adjusted before something gets written in stone, or this case the ring gear or pinion?

BTW, the whine sounds very much like the noise I hear (and have always heard) when I have the transfer case in 4wd low, but not as loud.

If the setup went well don't sweat it. gear whine on deceleration is more prevalent. Other than checking the pattern and backlash not much else to do for it.

BTW what manufacturer of Gears?

As for the viberation at 80, what are you doing driving 80 MPH?

DaffyXJ said:
If the setup went well don't sweat it. gear whine on deceleration is more prevalent. Other than checking the pattern and backlash not much else to do for it.

BTW what manufacturer of Gears?

As for the viberation at 80, what are you doing driving 80 MPH?

Thanks for the response!

Yep, patterns looked good.

Superior gears

lol, 70 and 80 mph are normal traffic speed for I10 here in Texas.

Was the subtle whine there before the gear swap? The reason I ask is because I've been in a few Cherokees with the 8.25 and heard a whine from stock axles. Axle bearings going bad maybe??

4LowandGo said:
Was the subtle whine there before the gear swap? The reason I ask is because I've been in a few Cherokees with the 8.25 and heard a whine from stock axles. Axle bearings going bad maybe??

No, no whine before.

"I'm staying away from the obvious wife and kid jokes".

I had the same symptoms with my 4.10's when I put them. it went away after a couple-a-hundred miles, or maybe I just tune it out.

tomcat said:
I had the same symptoms with my 4.10's when I put them. it went away after a couple-a-hundred miles, or maybe I just tune it out.

Everything I am hearing from you guys is good news. From my 72 Nova to this XJ I've seen or experienced a lot, but I have never re-geared before. I just don't know what to expect. Thank you all for your replies.

It accelerates like a beast now. Tach goes over to 4800 rpm quickly. Much peppier. Runs around 2000 rpm all the time now. 80 mph is about 3200 rpm just like another member told me.

4WD Lo is awesome. I get 3200 rpm at about 25 mph.

I need a little tire/fender clearance and I'll be ready to hit it.

I understand why now people keep saying get what you think you need, then go lower. ;)

there is a break in period associated with new gears... Heat kills...

might want to follow the instructions that Yukon has published on break in...

Back