• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 with no power

did you notice a REALLY rich mixture (black soot in the exhaust pipe) ?
I can see it lacking power from a bad CTS, but it would be the first time it was not accompanied by SUPER rich mixture. I would assume there were no mosquitoes in your town if it was the only cause!

--Shorty

welter5370 said:
no the temp read around 190-200, this sensor has nothing to do with the gauge it is for the computer only
im not exactly up to date with the 2000's temp sensors but i know the renix and the HO had different style temp sensors, so you might wanna wait for some extra input from someone

Oizarod115 said:
im not exactly up to date with the 2000's temp sensors but i know the renix and the HO had different style temp sensors, so you might wanna wait for some extra input from someone

no need to wait-- 2000 uses a temp sensor (for ECU) and a temp sending unit (for gauge)-- temp reading is useless in diagnosing power output-- unless it's way high or way low AND correct!

--Shorty

quote=welter5370]PROBLEM FOUND

IT WAS A TEMP SENSOR ON THE SIDE OF THE BLOCK, NOT THE ONE FOR THE GAUGE $15.99 FOR 1YR OF CHASING AND CHANGING HIGH DOLLAR PARTS TO FIND THIS LITTLE JEWELL IT ALSO FIXED THE NO POWER & SHIFTING ISSUES I HAD COME TO FIND OUT IT GIVES THE COMPUTER INFO. AND IT CHANGES TIMING WHICH CHANGES SHIFT PATTERNS[/quote]

What year was yours again?

I think I still hold the record for taking the longest to find the temperature sensor on jeep, like 18 months. Mine is an 87 Renix, and they hid it up under the intake/exhaust manifolds then. Never new it was there, and it wasn't even connected (which is why I never found it before). Then of course Renix has 3 of the bloody temperature sensors, and I knew where two where so I never bothered looking for a third one.:dunno: By 97 (I think) Chrysler discovered they could use just one Temperature sensor and save money, LOL.:clap:

But once I found it, I tested it, and it was OK, then I reconnected it and I still had no power and no down shift on the AW4. Mine turned out to be a bad TPS causing the poor power shifting and poor engine power problems.

Interesting that the same symptoms can be caused by such different parts.

I am now wondering if the power problem with mine was extra difficult to solve since it was being caused by more than one thing? By the time I got the 87 XJ, almost everything on it (except the engine, tranny and drive train) was on its last legs, the cap, rotor, wires, distributor, CPS, TPS, IAC, IATS, 6 new non-leaking injectors, just to start with all died in less than 12 months. They were either the original parts (18 years old at the time) or past their end of life, Junk yard pulls that should have been left there. It would now be easier to list the parts I have not replaced on my 87 XJ. The good news for me is there is very little left on it that is not new, that can wear out any time soon.

Shorty said:
no need to wait-- 2000 uses a temp sensor (for ECU) and a temp sending unit (for gauge)-- temp reading is useless in diagnosing power output-- unless it's way high or way low AND correct!

--Shorty

So what year did they finally go to just one CTS and drop the gauge TS? Some in this forum a while back said they finally went to just one master sensor.

mines a 87 larado converted over too 4x4 with the 4.0,aw4,231
yep the sensor under the intake/exhast next to the broken motor mount, still have a slight miss but i think its a plug gone bad.

too many sensors not enough time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smsoap:

this is the second thread I've read today that makes my hair stand on end! I'm rebuilding my 89' 4.0. I've never built a computer controlled engine before, and this shade tree mechanic is starting to feel like he's treading DEEP WATER! I understand grease, bolts, fire and air...SHEESH!

Ecomike said:
So what year did they finally go to just one CTS and drop the gauge TS? Some in this forum a while back said they finally went to just one master sensor.

Standard Motor Products catalogs two sensors through 2002 and only one in 2003 - as I'm too cheap to buy one that new, I don't have one to check. I'd assume an engine wiring diagram for a 2003 would provide the final answer.

cygnus58 said:
I'm learnin' with ya' I got my seat belt on.
Not sure a seat belt is going to do you much good in DEEP WATER! :laugh3:

I would probably still be needing :helpme: debugging mine if it were not
for NAXJA.:D

If you thing these are fun too work on try a Toyota Prius hybrid! It has combination electric drive motor / regenerative generator brakes on each wheel tied to a gas engine/transmisson with lots of batteries and who knows how many control sensor gadgets......

rag said:
does anyone have the part number for the computer temp sensor handy?

i got mine from orielly, but i don't know the part # (they went right to it) just remember the one for the gauge has 1 wire the one for the sensor has 2 wires

rag said:
does anyone have the part number for the computer temp sensor handy?

in Central NJ, I would assume you would have access to an Advance Auto--
G.P.Sorensen #38-5165

If you prefer elsewhere, have them cross the OE number-- 56027873
--Shorty

Back