• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 Jeep Emission test results HQ!

Would dirty oil have something to do here, It's 3,000 miles old, I just found this out after the test today. I currently run 33/12.5 on 3.73 gearing. 154,100 miles on motor. Plugs, rotor, cap and wires are in good shape. I did hear him shift from first to second gear, but it kinda bogs a little, the EGR makes it bog a little, if I disconnect the EGR runs like a champ.

Bad EGR usually causes high NOx, not 10X high CO numbers.

Can you retry the test with smaller tires?

The 15 mph test says the engine, etc, is fine, great numbers. The 25 MPH test, is either bad data and or a gearing-tire-gear selection test MPH problem?

No on the old used oil, as the 15 MPH test was fantastic!

Must be something between the 15 and 25 mph test that changed, like gearing, bogging down the engine in the other gear, and / or bad data entry, or bad test data, as in "lab error".

Why would the engine stumble to the point of dying when the EGR is plugged in, and run like new when I disconnect the vacuum hose from the solenoid?

I promise to keep this thread informed with my findings.

EGR may have a vacuum leak in its diaphragm, or the electric solenoid may be stuck open, or both? Both are easy to check.

Was the EGR plugged in during all the tests?

Yes it was, it being plugged in is what made the engine bog on the rollers from 1st to 2nd gear. The diaphragm does move when the gas pedal is moved. Think this might have some fault?

Check to see if the electric solenoid (vacuum) is stuck open all the time!

1989 ( RENIX JEEP ), Cherokee, 4.0 L, 2WD, about 140,000 miles (about 30,000 miles since head gasket was replaced, with head cleaned, and new seals, plugs, wires....the works).

ASM Test
......................25 mph, 1605 RPM ................................15 MPH, 1670 RPM
.....................LIMIT................ RESULT ....................LIMIT ....................RESULT
HC (ppm) ..........179.................... 97........................ 183..................... 131
CO % ................2.22................ 0.74 ........................1.65 .....................0.97
CO2 % .....................................13.9 ....................................................13.6
O2% ..........................................3 ......................................................0.6
NOx (ppm) ........1161 ..................998 ..........................1262 ..................1246
Dilution % ..................................14.6 ...................................................14.6

1987 ( RENIX JEEP ), Wagoneer, 4.0 L, 4WD, about 278,000 miles. CAT is about 2 years old, 20,000 miles.

ASM Test
................high speed 25 mph, 1605 RPM ................................. LOW SPEED 15 MPH, 1670 RPM
....................LIMIT ........RESULT.......................................... LIMIT ................RESULT
HC (ppm) .......137 ............53 ...............................................140 ....................87
CO % ............0.87 ...........0.27 .............................................0.79 ...................0.41
CO2 % ............................14.6 .........................................................................14.4
O2% ................................0.1 .......................................................................0.2
NOx (ppm) ......956 ...........808 .............................................1046 .................. 1045
dILUTION % .....................14.9 ..........................................................................14.8

Both tested at the same test location, same test machine, only 3 weeks apart!!!!!

Running 20W50 API SL, Dyno oil in both, Citgo Regular gas.

Last edited:
Why don't the spaces I added for a better view (like a table) show up? POS software!!!! It erases spaces I added, so I had to go back and dots, BS!!!!

Last edited:
I've performed all of the sensor tests per http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Basic_Sensors_Diagnostics.htm

I took my XJ to a diagnostic center in Tijuana, they pretty much duplicated my findings. All sensors are in proper working condition. I went ahead and did an oil change with a gas filter as well. At low revs there is practically no exhaust smell. Once I rev the engine past 4-5k revs smoke comes out of the tailpipe and stinky! For reference I have the Ford 5.0 19lb injectors, 4 years old. Bad renix computer?

Start a separete thread, and lets discuss it there. Give me a link to the thread here. I want to limit this one to mostly just data posts. Thanks

I took my 96XJ 4.0 with 200,000 miles today and it seems that I might need to do some work before next time.
HC GPM. 0.6267. Limits 1.2000. Pass
CO GPM. 8.8729. Limits 15.000. Pass
NOx GPM. 3.2347. Limits. 3.5000. Pass

I have a 95 XJ 4.0 auto with 91k. I failed the emissions test with record numbers.

.........%CO2 %O2...... HC............. CO............... NO

15mph 15.0.....0.1...... 63, 15........ .46, .01....... 460, 12597

25mph 14.9.....0.1...... 38, 13........ .56, .01...... 539, 13040

Under the HC, CO, and NO the first number is the max. Second number is amount measured.

Recent tune up (plugs, wires, cap &rotor) a new O2 sensor and cat was replaced about a year ago. Cooling system replaced about 3 weeks ago. (Radiator, fan clutch, hoses, t-stat.) Replaced the water pump about a year prior. I replaced the exhaust manifold and gasket about 3 months ago. I ordered a temp sensor, MAP sensor and an Air temperature sensor and fuel filter and will replace when they come in.

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Now that you have posted the data here, let's start a new thread for the diagnosis discussion, to keep this a data only thread. Post the link to the new topic thread here.

Real low CO and ultra high NOx means it is running very lean.

Back