• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 catastrophic failure pix

cdnabn49

NAXJA Forum User
here are a couple pictures of my 96 XJ 4.0l engine which had a catastrophic failure at 308,000 km's

exhaustside.jpg

closeup.jpg

pan.jpg

Most impressive. What did it sound like just prior to detonation?:worship:

a very loud bang then nothing... into neutral and coasted to a stop... frankly it was scarry as I was on the highway...

One side of me says 'hey that's awesome'

But it would suck to have happen. I've heard of the rods letting go just cruisin around after about 200k miles (308,000x0.6 (to convert to miles)=184,xxx miles.

Scary thing is, my XJ is at 206k.

Damn. I'm hoping mine doesn't do that. Doing a motor swap?

yep just in the process of ripping out the old motor... I have another 96 4.0l with 86,000km on it... the dam tranny bolts are ceased so I am taking a break tomorrow and spending the day with the family... hopefully I can get them out and then the motor swapped out...

March4th09-1.jpg

Wow, low miles too...I just swapped IN a '88 4.0 into my '90 with 291k on the clock LOL ... but thats a RENIX block so its good to go another 100k or better

I only saw the damage when I pulled the intake/exhaust manifolds off last night... I just thought it came through the pan...

here is my replacement....
Replacement-1.jpg

Was that an original engine? If so that shouldn't happen if you have been changing the oil, running proper octane gas, not overheating or sucking in water.

If the engine was rebuilt at some point by a second rate (and probably illiterate) mechanic then I could understand.

Was that an original engine? If so that shouldn't happen if you have been changing the oil, running proper octane gas, not overheating or sucking in water.

If the engine was rebuilt at some point by a second rate (and probably illiterate) mechanic then I could understand.

Is this post a troll attempt?

from what I am guessing just by looking at it... it suffered from some oil starvation on the bearings which may have lead to my current situation... no rebuild original motor. Yes on oil changes and maintenance. As to how and why, I am not psychic... the simple fact is that it died and that it sucks!

I just thought I'd post some pix to show what can happen to a motor that goes bad... who knows it could have been a "Monday / Friday" motor or a defective part or was missing something. It all start with a cracked exhaust manifold 4 months ago... so here I am.

If it wasn't for some really good people on :NAXJA: I'd be screwed! Kudos to the good guys!

Back