• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

37's on the HP30

So here's your setup:

HP30
4.88's
ARB

Looking to Add.. Chromoly shafts w/ 760's and run 37's.

I would say that it's going to be really close between the Pinion and the 760's as to which would break first.. I'd almost say the pinion.

If you really want to do it, just give it a try.. you should be able to sell the parts if you start breaking stuff (not sure of ARB's warranty though)... I would truss the axle at the same time though.

honestly 37 is too much tire for a 30 - we all know that even built bomb proof like Cal on the boards did it will be too much

35 it a good size tire to go with - i have seen a few 37 pro comp mud terrains on a 30 with alloys and 44 rear but it never saw anything but pavement

stay with 35 inch tires, wheel em for a while or if you have em keep em or start thinking about axle swaps

oh and the rustys brace does not span over the axle itself - granted it is better than nothing but as far as a truss goes not near the beef

I broke my HP Dana 30 in dirt with an open carrier and 33's. The u-joint broke and took the driver's side inner and outer shaft with it. It deformed the shaft ears on that side and subsequently blew out both ball joints while trying to get back to the road. Once that happened the ball joints fell out and the tire came off. I no longer wheel with a Dana 30 and have moved to a Dana 44 and Ford 8.8 combo. I figured if I was going to spend money on gears and lockers I might as well put it into something that will hold up a little longer.

I just broke 4 teeth off my ring gear Saturday. Dana 30, Warn lockout kit/short axles, alloy 30 spline inner axles, alloy joints, OX locker on cut 35 Super Swampers. I didn't think I was that hard on it but some of the people watching had a different opinion. I have so much money in my 30 I will have to run it for a while but I am looking at an axle upgrade as my next project on my never ending list. This Jeep addiction is expensive! But worth it.

I can't imagine running 37s on a 30 and not breaking something.

87manche said:
Thanks manche, but I am not sure that I comprehend what "results" you are referring to. If it is the broken rign and pinion, I must say IMO, it almost looks as if someone may have incorrectly setup the R&P. I only say this because of the contact surface on the broken ring gear in the post on page 2 do not look centered if you look very closely. To me, it looks like the pinion may have not been shimmed correctly. Of course, it is all speculation at this point and doesn't really matter. But yes, I do agree, my combo can be broken. I just know my limits. :D

Last edited:
uncc civilengineer said:
So here's your setup:

HP30
4.88's
ARB

Looking to Add.. Chromoly shafts w/ 760's and run 37's.

I would say that it's going to be really close between the Pinion and the 760's as to which would break first.. I'd almost say the pinion.

If you really want to do it, just give it a try.. you should be able to sell the parts if you start breaking stuff (not sure of ARB's warranty though)... I would truss the axle at the same time though.
Actually, I am on 37's and my current setup already IS:

Front:
HP30
Alloy USA 30 Spline Shafts
Alloy USA Axle Seals
ARB
Alloy USA 4.88's

Rear:
D44
Alloy USA 35 Spline Shafts
Alloy USA Axle Seals
ARB