• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

37's on D44 or D60

Some good points in here...

Main one I see is that cheap, strong, and 33"+ are not easily found in any one answer. Even 33"- will turn stockish junk to scrap if the pilot is trigger-happy or unlucky.

A secondary one is that local conditions always should remain a factor in selecting a component/system, but don't assume anything is unbreakable (or useless, for that matter)

Ramsey said:
i stand corrected then, thought you had some major troubles though
Power steering leaking like a seive, majorly tacoed rear drive shaft, & a broken front yoke on the t-case from playing bumper cars with dippy Rose. That was pretty much my carnage report for that trip.

As stated before, 44's will hold up to quite a bit. The tire / wheel combo I'm running (stazworks wheels & "D" rated 37/17 mtr's) weigh in at a porky 140# each on the bathroom scale :shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked: . In my estimation it's not a matter if the 44 will hold up, it's a matter of how long will it hold up. So far it's held up to 2 good runs. One at the hammers & the other at BOTW in Az. Driving style & area are major factors in whether you can make one hold up. I'm hard on my junk & fully expect to need to fix it on the trail. I also carry warn shafts for spares with longfeild joints so that my trail fix will last longer than a hundred feet...(been there, done that)

FarmerMatt said:
Power steering leaking like a seive, majorly tacoed rear drive shaft, & a broken front yoke on the t-case from playing bumper cars with dippy Rose. That was pretty much my carnage report for that trip.

As stated before, 44's will hold up to quite a bit. The tire / wheel combo I'm running (stazworks wheels & "D" rated 37/17 mtr's) weigh in at a porky 140# each on the bathroom scale :shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked: . In my estimation it's not a matter if the 44 will hold up, it's a matter of how long will it hold up. So far it's held up to 2 good runs. One at the hammers & the other at BOTW in Az. Driving style & area are major factors in whether you can make one hold up. I'm hard on my junk & fully expect to need to fix it on the trail. I also carry warn shafts for spares with longfeild joints so that my trail fix will last longer than a hundred feet...(been there, done that)
Do you know how much the Staz wheels weigh by themself?I'm going with recentered H1 wheels,I'm thinking they are considerably lighter?another reason I'm using them is because I have them already,the wheels,not the centers.I'm getting the centers from USA6x6,they seem like the best ones,the pressed ones,not the plate ones.Sorry for the hijack!!!

Goatman said:
You need to get you junk to JV one of these days, bro'......it would add tremendously to your base of experience, and we'd have to quit giving you sh!t about it. :looser:

:D :D

Did you just volunteer to be my tour guide? :laugh3:

maybe this fall; get the 3 link finished and tuned and buildup a supply of D44 spares :)

BrettM said:
Did you just volunteer to be my tour guide? :laugh3:

maybe this fall; get the 3 link finished and tuned and buildup a supply of D44 spares :)

Sure, I love tour guiding in JV.....and breaking in JV newbies. :)

JV eats stock Spicer shafts like candy. But, I do have to admit that front leaves are a little easier on front axle joints than link suspensions......but don't tell anyone that I said that. :)

Still, you have to be real easy on it and really watch the ledges and wedgies.

magoo117 said:
Do you know how much the Staz wheels weigh by themself?I'm going with recentered H1 wheels,I'm thinking they are considerably lighter?another reason I'm using them is because I have them already,the wheels,not the centers.I'm getting the centers from USA6x6,they seem like the best ones,the pressed ones,not the plate ones.Sorry for the hijack!!!

I never weighed the wheels unmounted, but I'm pretty sure that you could find the tire specs somewhere online & subtract that out of my combined weight to get the wheel weight... Staz's wheels now come with the "dished" center's rather than the flat plate like mine. It did take awhile to get them...

Goatman said:
Sure, I love tour guiding in JV.....and breaking in JV newbies. :)

JV eats stock Spicer shafts like candy. But, I do have to admit that front leaves are a little easier on front axle joints than link suspensions......but don't tell anyone that I said that. :)

Still, you have to be real easy on it and really watch the ledges and wedgies.

I wish I had been there when Matt's OEM spare lasted 100 yds!

magoo117 said:

A 37X12.50R17 MT/r weighs about 86lbs, so 140 - 86 = 54lbs.

Paul

I am wheeling my goodyear MTR's 37's on a dana 44 front with no issues so far. Of course it's built with ctm's, warn shafts, 5.13's and a detroit. Have eaten up acouple balljoints though... A kingpin 60 axle would sure be nice.

Ok lots of good info
her so Ive decided when i get ready I will stay with 37's
and just pick something up like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7980855888&category=33731

with ctm's and good shafts I think Ill be OK

I realy wanted to go 37's for the extra size

perhaps when I get ready to go this size
the rig will be chopped and tubed
and that might make up for the weight to axle ratio

ahh now all I need is a crapload of cash :)

CRASH said:
I wish I had been there when Matt's OEM spare lasted 100 yds!

100 yards?..........no, it was 100 feet!

For those wondering, FarmerMatt broke the yoke on a Warn front shaft (D44 with 35's) and replaced it with stock Spicer shafts, then broke that about 100 ft up the trail.

Those of you who are posting that you're running 37's on stock shafts need to post how long you've been running them and how many and what trails you've been on, and what type of terain........otherwise to someone looking for good comparison info it means nothing. If you're afraid to say how little you've wheeled with that combination, then don't post about it. :looser: :D

Breakage is cumulative.......you can get lucky for awhile, but sooner or later the stress cracks are going to cash themselves in if you're pushing the parts with too big a tire.

Goatman said:
Those of you who are posting that you're running 37's on stock shafts need to post how long you've been running them and how many and what trails you've been on, and what type of terain........otherwise to someone looking for good comparison info it means nothing. If you're afraid to say how little you've wheeled with that combination, then don't post about it. :looser: :D

Breakage is cumulative.......you can get lucky for awhile, but sooner or later the stress cracks are going to cash themselves in if you're pushing the parts with too big a tire.

DITTO!

I once saw a guy running 42's on a Dana 30. He didn't break in the 200 yds that I followed him.

Therefore, I could say that I once knew a guy running 42's on a 30, and I never saw him break anything.

Context is important when giving advice. Steep, dry, high traction rock is a different animal than wet, muddy trails in the forest. You can hammer on the latter pretty hard with the throttle with little consequence, but try that on the former, and you'll be R&Ring parts every run.

FarmerMatt said:
I never weighed the wheels unmounted, but I'm pretty sure that you could find the tire specs somewhere online & subtract that out of my combined weight to get the wheel weight... Staz's wheels now come with the "dished" center's rather than the flat plate like mine. It did take awhile to get them...
These are the centers from USA6x6.They look alot lighter than the plate centers.
NEWHUMMER6BOLT.jpg

Goatman said:
100 yards?..........no, it was 100 feet!

For those wondering, FarmerMatt broke the yoke on a Warn front shaft (D44 with 35's) and replaced it with stock Spicer shafts, then broke that about 100 ft up the trail.

And that 100 ft of trail was NOTHING! No obstacles, just a jumble of baby head sized rocks.

I have had my 37's for a year now before that I was wheeling with 35's and 33's for about 2 years. With the 37's I have wheeled pritched canyon, hells revenge, poison spyder, golden spike and potato salad hill in moab(broke my CPS and twisted my rear Driveshaft but the 30 was fine) and I have done several 8+ trails in Colorado. Don't get me wrong I know the 30 isn't the best of axles but with my wheeling style(light right foot) it has served me well so far. I know in time it will break and when it does I have spare shafts I can throw in. When this happens I will upgrade to aftermarket shafts

Pics of a D30 with 33's behind a 4 cyl. He wasn't on it that hard but it did toss parts for close to 30 feet. It's been on 33's for two years and had a front locker for 5 or 6 runs.

dcp_0130.jpg

dcp_0134.jpg

They are 260's though. Haven't worried a whole lot because of the tiny motor and the grey hair driving it. :D

Back