• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35's or bigger without chopping

Ramsey

NAXJA Forum User
i was just wondering if anyone is running a large tire without having cut any on their fenders, and just how high they had to lift.

Last edited:
Just put on enough bumpstop to limit nearly all up travel.........

:)

You can trim quite a bit without it even looking like you did anything.

Like Goatman said, use bumpstops, but that really defeats much of the purpose of a nice lift and big tires. Your off-road flex is not going to be good. At some point you will have to cut those fenders even if it is only for the size of the tire in the wheel well/flare, not hight related. Don't be afraid to cut, you can still make it look good if you use TJ flares and take your time.

this was just something i was asking out of curiosity. i have 3" and soon to be 33's with plenty of hacking. i was just wondering if anyone was scared of the sawzall and ran big tires. i am sure plenty of mall crawlers do, but was just wondering if anyone here did. i am sure if i asked on JU i would have plenty of responses regarding 8" of lift and 35's barely clearing.

as much as everyone in the "hard core" forums hates JU, there are many intelegent people there that have a lot of knowledge... its not a bad place to look for ideas and info... just not cherokee specific...

i've got nothing against it, let them do what they want with their xj. i just like taking cracks at em

Like the man said, it isn't the top of the wheel well you have to worry about, Its the front and back. If you move the front axle forward enough to clear the rear, then the front will hit. Heck, I trimed mine and went with a BPI bumper and the first time I did a ramp, the tire stuck between the rear of the wheel well and the bumper. I ended up lengthening the arms and cutting a couple of inches off of the bumper.

I think I claim the distinction of being the only guy to snap an axle on a ramp. :lecture: Boy the spectators sure went scurrying when they heard that loud pop.

Back