• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35's on a 4.5 -5" lift?

Heck, right now I have the stock 8.25 with 3.55's on my 32's. I would think 4.10's would make it seem like a sports car after driving around with that combination for a year. How rare is it to find a D30 with stock 4.10 in junk yards? Might be a whole lot cheaper than regearing my front. I would just have to move the aussie over.

squidd said:
Heck, right now I have the stock 8.25 with 3.55's on my 32's. I would think 4.10's would make it seem like a sports car after driving around with that combination for a year. How rare is it to find a D30 with stock 4.10 in junk yards? Might be a whole lot cheaper than regearing my front. I would just have to move the aussie over.

easy look for a 4banger and it should have 4.10s make sure to check before you buy.

2xtreme said:
There is nothing wrong with 32's and 4.10's.
My only point is that if I was to choose a gear ratio for that tire specifically I would go with the 4.56's. If I had 4.10's already I probably wouldn't swap them out.

Michael

I agree with Michael's thoughts on the 4.56 gearing. My son opted to do the 35" on his XJ, and like lots of people he tried to do it the cheap way... Well for starters he had a bunch of upgrading to do with the steering as he was getting a lot of bump-steer. Then too he didn't stay with 10.5 tires, he went wide, and that's when his hassles with the police started. That ended up with him putting wrangler flares on. In his headlong rush to trim and get stuff on, he trimmed up past the pinch seam... that's okay I guess for a dedicated wheeler, but for a DD it isn't cool. And by the time he was done he really can't do anything that the guys on 32-33's are doing with skid plates, and the 32-33's handle much better for a DD. And with the locker in the rear and driving daily he learned that those rear tires wear down much much faster than if he would have put in a selective type locker of some sort. And the price difference on tires between 32-33 and 35's is a noticeable dent. The deal you get from that guy on those 35's won't last forever and you will be replacing them.

So now the son's XJ spends most of it's time sitting in the field outside the shop as it's just used for wheeling. And at the moment it's broken as he hadn't upgraded other drive-line stuff when he went to the larger tires. All for the large tires to look cool..... Before it was a good solid XJ that was a good DD and was good on the trails too with the 32's that were on it. The point I'm working at here is that like others have mentioned, going to 35's or larger entails a lot of extra preparation and expense. Cherokee's with 32-33" wheels, a winch, skid plates, and re-gearing the differentials make for a good solid trail rig. Save your bucks and your XJ, don't go for the 35's until you have a pocket full of bucks to do it the right way.

Back