• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33x9.50x15 BFG A/T Opinions please help

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 with 4in lift and cut fenders. The prob need tires bad and low on cash (2 kids a wife and a stack of hospital bills)

I started out with 31's and way to much space in the wells.

Then went to 32's on 8in wide soft 8's and like the way it looks and rides.

Now I am looking for used tires and there are no 32's for sale found a lot of 33x12.5 think thay may be to wide form me.

I know some one how has 2 like new 33x9.5x15 BFG A/T a little thin may be not sure. can get these cheap and then 2 new about $160 a pc.

Anyone ever run this size and how do like ups and downs.

Thanks for the help need to make a quick disicion before the used ones get sold.

Thanks for the help need to make a quick disicion before the used get sold.

my buddy runs 32x9.50's. the 9.50 are the very definition of pizza cutters and i love them. his are super quiet and do great offroad(we dont do mud and when he slips hes generous with the skinny pedal). handles as well as you can expect on the street. and his wear like iron.

other than that, what are you looking for specifically in the reviews you seek?

They will be pizza cutters and look silly. as for a review of ATs its all dependent on the type of terrain you wheel.

Might I suggest selling the lift kit and using 30s to fill your wheel wells then you'll have some cash left over for the pesky medical bills.

nah youll be fine. ill see if i can find a pic of my buddys zj with them. but keep in mind, if you like pizza cutters, youll love it. if you dont like pizza cutters, youll hate them

My friend had a 4.5" lift with 33x9.5's, in my opinion they looked awful WAY to skinny. If you like pizza cutters as mentioned, then there for you, if not I'd go wider.

I had some 33x10.50's from a previous vehicle that I used briefly. I was on about 7" lift up front, and they looked waaaaay too skinny, and looked silly to me.

You'd be happy with preformance, I am sure, but if your fenders are cut and opened up, you probably will not like how it looks.

i think the biggest concern is the look of them because they're pizza cutters. i love that look. its just not for everyone

i think the biggest concern is the look of them because they're pizza cutters. i love that look. its just not for everyone

They look ok if you have OD or matte black wheels with very shallow back spacing, kinda like Willys wheels.

33s, in either 9.50 or 10.50 width, are much easier to fit inside the wheel-well than a 12.50 width.
My XJ is at a low 3-1/2" and runs 33 X10.50s on stock alloy rims and 1-1/4" spacers. They fit fine under the trimmed and raised flares (and a little massaging here and there).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/4113762835/in/set-72157622830310636/

The narrow BFG A/Ts work well in the snow and have never been a problem in deep sand (when deeply aired down). I would imagine 9.50s would be similar in fit and performance. Just stay out of dry sand dunes.
As for the look, that depends on what you want. I think the narrow 33s give the XJ an expedition-style look as contrasted to the rock crawler look.
I'm staying with the 33 X10.50s; it's my best size for a variety of uses, including being my DD. YMMV

If you've found a good deal on them, who cares about looks? You said you have a family to care for and medical bills to worry about. I was running 30s on 5" lift, with stock white multi spoke wheels up front and black steelies on the back for a while. Looked silly, but performed fine, had plenty of room for flex :D, and lasted while I saved up to get the 33s I'm running now.

I ran that very tire and loved 'em. Fantastic in the winter and great offroad. Reduced rolling resistance versus a wider tire = better mileage. Just stay out of the bottomless stuff as they will dig till the cows come home. I'll be putting another set on my 97. -B

If it's a steal, I say grab them.

The proportions will be just like this
11820d1264644423-xj-lift-tire-setup-thread-ryans-jeep.jpg

4runner4.jpg

777741800_8eRKb-XL.jpg

Well thanks for all the help but BFG has a 6 + weel back order on these I cant wait as my tires are shot. Looking around for prices damn tires got expensive. Dont know what to do may have to buy 2 now and wait a while for 2 more 32's

Skinny tires look really functional/military. They're popular in the expedition community.

IMO, fat tires look ricey/poser, especially when they stick out

indeed. which is the purpose of my build, so im opting for 33x10.50's. pizza cutters are an acquired taste tho

Skinny tires look really functional/military. They're popular in the expedition community.

IMO, fat tires look ricey/poser, especially when they stick out
It's all opinion. I like the look of my "fat" 12.5" tires, which do stick out just a little up front. They look "functional" to me as well because I know how the thing performs with them. They float across mud and sand, have a nice fat footprint to grab rocks, and are damn near impossible to break traction on pavement.

I like skinny tires too, but they don't look any more functional to me than do mine. As far as loking military, maybe old school military, but today's military is full of fat tires. Look at a 7 ton, HMMWV, HEMT, etc.

It's all opinion. I like the look of my "fat" 12.5" tires, which do stick out just a little up front. They look "functional" to me as well because I know how the thing performs with them. They float across mud and sand, have a nice fat footprint to grab rocks, and are damn near impossible to break traction on pavement.

I like skinny tires too, but they don't look any more functional to me than do mine. As far as loking military, maybe old school military, but today's military is full of fat tires. Look at a 7 ton, HMMWV, HEMT, etc.

If they're functionally fat that's another story but most people just get the fattest they can for looks. What I really hate is what is popular in Hawaii... huge lift with short fat tires sticking WAY out, making the truck look like a skateboard.

I guess you're right, HMMWV standard tire size is 37x12.5, pretty much a 3:1 ratio, so I guess that's not really narrow. About the same ratio as my 31x10.5 and much wider than 33x9.5

Back