• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33's

ELBORRACHO

NAXJA Forum User
I got my lift on now im going to get tires tomorrow. What backspacing do i need? and do any of you have any tips for me? with a 4.5" lift do i need to trim alot, and would 32s be better fill me in so i can do the damn thing!!!
Thanks,ELBORRACHO
ElBorracho.jpg

With a 33, you'll need to trim some... If you're going with a 15x8, then a 4" backspace is about right, some people go a little deeper on the backspace, but I like to set the tire out a ways, so they don't rub the control arms.

Cragar soft 8's can be had quite cheap, or any other rockcrawler type wheel.

Anything steel will be durable, aluminum rims are lighter, but are easily bent with abuse.

IMHO, if your planning on trimming and have a 4.5" I'd go with 35's. Wish I'd done that, atleast for around here. I'm running 33's on mine right now with a Rubicon SF 3.5". Lincoln spool in the rear. I've suprised a few on the trail with how well it works... It is a bit of a pig on the road and the speedo is off about 10%
100_3566.jpg

Looking back, it took me about a season of wheelin' to realise bigger is better in some cases. I could easily get another 2" or so out of the lift with some simple mods. The way it sits right now works alright, but it could always be better. I guess what I'm getting at is if planning to build a serious vehicle, why build it twice? Tires are one of the biggest investments you're going to make, why buy twice? Yeah, it's recomnded that 33's are max you can run on the D30/35 combo but I've heard of several people running 37's without breakage. Guess it's how you drive and where you're at. Moab, well that's a different story... Just my 2 cents!

I run the RE 4.5 sf kit with 33s I ran 32s and the front end flexed so well it ripped off the flairs first round out disconnected and bent the fenders. I then trimmed off 3-1/2 inches of fender up front and then went to 33s have yet to have any problems up front out back is a different story. The 32s I got better gasmilage then the 33s and I have stock 3.55s with 4:56s gears in the garage to go in the D44 and HP30 I'm putting in the jeep this summer.
It comes down to how much money your willing to spend and if it's a dd driver and how much body trimming you want to do. It's allways possible. I've stuffed 35" mtrs and they looked great, but that was before I trimmed so Now I need to give them another shot. The bigger you go the more money your going to have to invest in upgrading this part and that part to have it hold up. DO it wise with hitting the forsale section and getting used stuff from the guys on the board here and anything is possible on a smaller budget.

I have the 4.5 with only 2" bumpstops up front and I would go another 1" on top of that if I were you with a 33 tire and a little bit of trim work.

I got 32s for now, I will run them for awile until i can save the the money to get 10 or 11 inches of lift and run 37s. so by the the time that happens i will need new tires anyway. next on my list is a SYE do any of you know of a good place in the springs to get one done or to buy one. I will post pics of the jeep tomorrow

33's quickly become small, Steel wheels such as soft 8's or the "wagon wheel" type- got for 4" backspacing for a wider wheelbase 3.75 if you want to go even wider.. wheels are around $55 or so each at 4wheelparts

I run 10 inches of lift with 37 inch boggers. Of course I also have full width axles. HP dana 44 up front and a 9" Ford in the rear. Just remember, if you go high make sure you go wide to stabilize the vehicle.

Back