• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33's on 8" rims, with 1.25 wheel spacers... good idea?

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Did a little searching, but only found a couple people that said they'd gone 33's on 8" rims and used spacers.

I'd really like to run a set of Gamblers I have, and just picked up a set of MTR's in the 33x12.50 flavor..... wondering if they're gonna look a bit over sized for the wheel....... I'm sure they won't fit without rubbing on the LCA's and rear leafs without the spacer, is that correct? The 32's that used to be on the Gamblers were 3/4" from the rear leaf pack.....

I know it sounds juvenile.... but I'd really appreciate a pic of a stock 15x8 rim with a 33" tire on it just to get a feel for it - otherwise I gotta sell the Gamblers and get some wider rims with correct B.S. PM it to me if you feel it necessary.

TIA!

I think I might have answered my question after looking at JohnJohn's Big Off Road page..... If I'm not mistaken, his rig has 15x8 Canyons, spacers and he's running 35x12.50's....

Doesn't look bad and seems to be reasonable as far as bead/sidewall placement.....

Any criticizims of this set up?

98xj9.jpg

Right now i,m on 33 BFG AT,s on the 8" Gamblers with no spacers,The clearance between the rear spring and the inside of the tire is 1/4 inch or less.I do NOT use this set-up Off Road.I don,t think you need to go to 1 1/2 spacer but I don,t know what sizes they come in.
Wayne

Id say go for it

Last edited:
Wayne Sihler said:
Right now i,m on 33 BFG AT,s on the 8" Gamblers with no spacers,The clearance between the rear spring and the inside of the tire is 1/4 inch or less.I do NOT use this set-up Off Road.I don,t think you need to go to 1 1/2 spacer but I don,t know what sizes they come in.
Wayne

uncc civilengineer said:
8" rims are perfect for 12.5's.. Im running 15x8s and 36x13.5x15 Bias Iroks.. not problems yet.. I run them around 8psi offroad also..

What backspacing/offset are you guys using?

Troy - I think an 8" rim is ideal for a 12.5 tire. I have had too many buddys air down and lose beads on 10" rims. Look at the pic of my rig in the reader's rig section (Colorado forum) - those are 15x8 w/33x12.5 mtrs, 5in BS and 1.25" spacers (admittedly not on stock axles though...)

YELLAHEEP said:
I think I might have answered my question after looking at JohnJohn's Big Off Road page..... If I'm not mistaken, his rig has 15x8 Canyons, spacers and he's running 35x12.50's....

Doesn't look bad and seems to be reasonable as far as bead/sidewall placement.....

Any criticizims of this set up?

98xj9.jpg

Too much lift on JJ's rig for the tire he's running, freezes up when he's more than 5% off-camber (dude is WAY off-camber, but that's another topic) .........oh, are we talking about John or your proposed setup?

I see no problem with it, my set up with 285/75/16 on 16x8 with 1.25" billet adapters works well. You'll have another 1" tire width to deal with, but with a net BS of 4", you'll be fine.

Thanks fellas. I guess I'll give it a try. Spacers are cheaper than new wheels, considering I don't wanna go with the typical black rockcrawlers with this project.

I'm wondering now if I eye-ball measured the crawlers on my yella rig incorrectly..... I put a tape measure thru a spoke hole and it looked like 10" but I bought those rims 2 yrs ago and don't remember them being 10" rims....

Gawd I gotta get back into the jeep thing.... I'm forgetting more than I'm retaining.....

johnjohn doesn't run the canyons anymore. How do I know this you ask? Because he keeps trying to sell them to me.

I need some spacers meself, let me know how they work out for you. I've been afraid I'd lose a wheel running them.

Back