• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33'' tires with my stock gears

Don't hesitate goin' with 33's IMO... I've had two rigs, same setup [33/3.55] and it's not as bad as it's cracked up to be. If you do regear, the higher [numeric] the better IMO... If you have the C8.25 your limited to 4.56's, and with the D30 - 4.88's... If you have the D35 I'd highly recomend upgrading to the C8.25/D44/Ford 8.8/Etc...

Cost on gears will depend on what brand you went with, and who set them up... Do some searching on that subject, and/or research and I think you'll find some good info... HTH

Will.

I also have the stock gearing and 33s. It's not much worse as it was with the 31s. But going up hill sucks. I think it depends in which area you live.
And better mpg with bigger tires? I got better mpg with the 31s.

I worked with 33" tires a stock gears for 2 weeks while waiting for my 8.8 to get finished up. I could not imagine being that underpowered ever again. When I put in the 4.88's my mileage increased from aound 11 to 16. I don't know how people think 33's and stock gears is fine. OD was only useful after 70 MPH.

My $.02

Beachmonkey6 said:
ok so i have a Dana 35c in rear and a Dana 30 up front. If i were to regear to 4.56 gears, what parts would i have to replace? And where would i find these parts?

you need to learn how to use this:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php?

and this:
www.google.com

and to help you out - some search terms:

Dana 35 carrier
carrier break
ring gear
pinion
master install kit

and you should be looking for a professional installer or someone who has done this many times before, gears are an expensive thing to mess up...

and most everyone will tell you that when you do gears,
do lockers too,
and if you are doing lockers,

dump the d35 for another stronger rear end, and most everyone will tell you about the gloriuos end all - solve all problems forever Ford 8.8 out of an explorer - rear around and come up with your own opinion....

sheeeiitt......ive ran 33's on stock gears in 3 XJ's with autos and now i have one with 3.55 gears on 35's. i no longer have a useful overdrive, but 3rd gear has taken the place of OD. its not a DD otherwise id have it on 33's.

my point is.....stock gears and 33's are VERY streetable. not a big deal if you have the auto. it takes a little adjusting to, but after a while, you wont remember how torquey it used to be on stock tires. go for it. no regrets.

Beachmonkey6 said:
ok so i have a Dana 35c in rear and a Dana 30 up front. If i were to regear to 4.56 gears, what parts would i have to replace? And where would i find these parts?

You would replace the d35 with a better candidate to spend money on first. Swappable axles can be found at most junkyards and the For Sale forums.

33's on my 5sp XJ really bites. I have a 4.10 exploder rear end already locked I'm dropping in soon as I have the time to grab another D30 to regear, lock and toss up front.

Have 3.55s and 33x13.50 LTBs on my 89 with 4.5" lift. Never use OD anymore, no power in 3rd even. It rides on a trailer most of the time on the highway though.

Got a 4.10 ratio D30 and a scout D44 going in soon.

go for the 33's i have ran 31's for almost two years now and i am wishing that i never wasted the money on them they make my 98 xj on a 5.5 in look funny drivin down the road... I am thinkin about gettin some 33x12.50 kumho adventrue mt anyone know anything about them.

thanks

33's....great idea...will get you anywhere. 33's on 3.55's....well that idea sux..if you want gas mileage and any kind of usable power in high range. and your poor old tranny will be very prone to overheating...never mind how much your gas mileage is going to suck...

4.88's on 33's is the appropriate gearing....4.10 is a waste of time...4.56...in a month you will wish you went to 4.88

And be honest guys....your rigs with 3.55's and 33's...won't pull a greasy string out of a cats butt in high range...mine wouldn't when I had stock gears.

I got 85 with 4.75 inches lift and trimmed fenders. At full stuff they rub the fenders. Just ordered Bushwacker fender flares to cover tires.

60 mph on my speedometer is 68 mph on my gps. Stock 3.55 gearing and it lags a bit at highway speeds. It's a little annoying but to me not worth the expense of new gears and a drivetrain expert to install.

I offroad pretty hard and it's not a bad setup. i run Goodyear Wrangler MTRs and they're not even loud on the road. Actually not much worse than previous 30" BFG All Terrains. GO aggressive tread, it helps and looks menacing too.

It doesn't hurt to try 33s. 4.5"...eh everyone gets "inchitis"

This thread is over a year old, I'm sure he's figured it out by now...lol

MudDawg said:
And be honest guys....your rigs with 3.55's and 33's...won't pull a greasy string out of a cats butt in high range...mine wouldn't when I had stock gears.
Yup in high range there isn't much, but I had no trouble in 4lo pulling an F-350 on 35s out that was stuck in mud past the hubs, he couldn't believe it. Of course I had to drive through his ruts just to rub it in, even though I hate mud!

Back