• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

32's or 33's

Mark Hinkley said:
Dude,

Go 40s or go home!

:D

hinkley

Will 40's work with 4.11's? or should I use 3.55's instead??

Anyways.... I got another question that relates to this one... but it's for another thread :D

33x12.5 - nuff said.

Go with 33s and regear later. Worst case, on the highway, don't use 5th gear.

BTW, 4.88's are not a problem in a D30. I as well as many in the WCGIC use a D30 front and go to the Hammers. I've seen lots of 'stock' broken axles but never a broken R&P.

Dan

Only 150 rpm or so diff. btwn 31's & 33's.... only other diff will be added rolling resistance with wider contact patch and more so if you go to a more aggresive tire. Go 33's and if it works OK on the road then leave the diff gears alone and do a 4:1 terra low tcase conversion, best of both worlds.
Mike B.

Ok Remi, you have wheeled with me a few times and seen what I have done with my XJ and to my XJ :rolleyes: I did John Bull in Big bear with 32"' and 3.07 gears you were there. It can be done. You also have seen me do El Hill at Los Coyotes. Now as for my opinion. My rig is also a daily driver and it seems that I have plenty of power with 32" and my new gears 4.56! I want to go to bigger tires also, probably 35" but maybe 33". The problem is this, on the street the gears I have and the tires I have are perfect and work great. In the dirt they work good too, but I wish I had lower crawl ratio. I wont regear (wished I had gone 4.88 like my buddy Dan told me) but I dont want to tear my rig up so I will probably go 4:1 transfer case as this is my weakest link and my best option. With 4.10's you will bog a little on the street and have some issue with climbs offroad. It wears heavy on the clutch with big tires and smaller gears. If it were mine to decide, I would wait and get 4.88 gears as this is cheaper than a transfer case regear and you would be happier wheelin and driving it with 33". Buy some cheap 31" or 32" and save your money for regear or bite the bullet and buy some 33" and live with the issues that go with it or really bite the bullet and do the transfer case upgrade. I think you can regear for about $500.00 and the new Rock-trac Rubicon tranfer case is $1527.75 + tax from me. The tera low kit is $900.00 and is not worth my money in my opinion. Well there you have it.

These are my words unless of course you want to sue me then they are someone elses.

Rabbit

I ran through the 32-33 debate just a month ago and went back and forth just like you but mostly did the debate in my head, not on the forum. I ended up with 285/75R16's (33x11.5). I'm running 4.10's too. It's perfect on the road except when starting out in first. Off-road I could use lower gears. I definitely notice the lack of power now, time for some horsepower upgrades.

xj92 said:
I ran through the 32-33 debate just a month ago and went back and forth just like you but mostly did the debate in my head, not on the forum. I ended up with 285/75R16's (33x11.5). I'm running 4.10's too. It's perfect on the road except when starting out in first. Off-road I could use lower gears. I definitely notice the lack of power now, time for some horsepower upgrades.
stick or auto??

Also running 33's, 4.10's, and a AX-15.. perfect for on-road, off-road is ok.. Plan on going to a 4:1 in the transfer to make up for it, and quite possibly looking into a Klune much further down the road.

Back