• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

32" tires....What gear ratio?

87CherokeeChief said:
well since the guy already had his question answered...i have a 5spd and 31s and i NEED to regear 3.07s suck especially with gas so high right now. I was thinking a ford 8.8 swap with 4.10 gears and then regearing the front to match. Will that setup work well or should i go lower since i have a manual trans??

31's and 4.10 with a manual tranny works very well, onroad and offroad. I can even say 33's with a MT on-road works rather well. Offroad, it works ok, but if you grow to 33's all you need is a 4low tcase(Tera, Atlas, Rock-trac, mod-D300) to get you where you need to be.

i disagree, 4.10's suck with 31's and a five speed on the street. there is no need to run 3200 rpm at 75mph. maybe if all you do is run around town but i didn't like it on the highway. i ran it for a while until i got some bigger rubber under it

ChuckD said:
31's and 4.10 with a manual tranny works very well, onroad and offroad. I can even say 33's with a MT on-road works rather well. Offroad, it works ok, but if you grow to 33's all you need is a 4low tcase(Tera, Atlas, Rock-trac, mod-D300) to get you where you need to be.

ditto dat

ChuckD said:
there you go beez

yotaparts said:
i disagree, 4.10's suck with 31's and a five speed on the street. there is no need to run 3200 rpm at 75mph. maybe if all you do is run around town but i didn't like it on the highway. i ran it for a while until i got some bigger rubber under it
here you go again
btw the as low i was referring to was 4.56's or 4.88's. implying that would be too low probably

I'm running 31's on 4.10's with the auto and it's pretty good... wish I would have went to the 4.56's as 31's aren't going to be the biggest tire I run. I have a buddy with a 5spd and 31s running my old 3.55's and he stoked going from 3.07s.

If 32's are on the list so should 4.56's if you plan to wheel it with stock TC. 4.10's won't be bad, but I think you'll wish you went 4.56's in the long run

btray

the 4.10 and 5-speed and 31"s combo is quite nice for a DD. thats what i run. JUST MAKE SURE YOU WONT WANT LARGER TIRES IN THE FUTURE. I do...and now i want 4.56s. for a DD, i wouldnt want 4.56 and 31"s ...too much shifting on the peugeot 5-speed.

cheers

it really depends on what you plan to do with it and if you ever plan to go bigger, but i will let someone else answer this since i might be wrong

I know I am resurrecting an old post, but from reading this it looks like that if I am going to throw on 32's (under my 3" lift) I should regear to 4.56 I am stock right now (92 Sport auto). I just installed my lift and that was the biggest mechanical feat I have ever undertaken (so you know my mechanical background). Is regearing something I should have a shop do or do you think it is something that can be done with alot of reading and determination?

theschwarz1 said:
I know I am resurrecting an old post, but from reading this it looks like that if I am going to throw on 32's (under my 3" lift) I should regear to 4.56 I am stock right now (92 Sport auto). I just installed my lift and that was the biggest mechanical feat I have ever undertaken (so you know my mechanical background). Is regearing something I should have a shop do or do you think it is something that can be done with alot of reading and determination?

You can, but because of your inexpierence I recomend finding extra housings to regear or have another car as a daily driver. You do not want to rush yourself.

I can say this, in most cases, the special tools that are required are less than the labor. The best part is you gain a lot of knowledge and can help you later on the trail if yo run into breakage.

Now before you go running into spending a ton of money on gears, lockers and bearing kits. Make sure you you are completely satisfied with the axles you are going to regear. Make sure that are more than adequate for the tires your planning on going to as well as the next size up. IMO, find or build your axles to handle at least 35" tires.

Also, if 32's are your tire. with an auto 4.10 should serve you rather well. XJ's with 2.5l came with 4.10 stock. You won't have to regear and if you shop well you should find a D30 front and for the rear a D35 :puke:, 8.25 Crysl or an 8.8 Ford.

I say save the money for when you get 35's. Trust me those 32's will start looking wimpy after awhile just like mine did. But hey, if you really like those 32's I would go with 4.10's or 4.11 like a lot of people said. I think a guy actually did a whole chart about gear ratio's and tire sizes. Just leave your 32's on for awhile and if you're still content after a couple months go ahead and regear.

ChuckD said:
XJ's with 2.5l came with 4.10 stock.
Mine is a 4.0...so I geuss I dont have that 4.1.....I have seen pictures of the different axles but havent really studied mine. To me they all look so similar. I know there are some small differences in shape, but its hard for me to look at a picture here in the office and then go home and try to compare mine to the picture in my head. I have a 92 Sport 4.0 HO.....its red (HEHEHE, just kidding)

I think regearing on an extra junk yard housing sounds like a great Idea. Just to get familiar with it. I definitley cant afforf new axles right now! I really wanna learn all that I can and do it myself and not be someone who has a shop build their rig (no offense anyone). I have learned so much so far from reading all the posts. I never would have done a suspension on my own a few years ago, but no I hae done it thanks to everyone on here!! ANd I am a better man for it! :soapbox: :lecture:

You have either have 3.55 with an Auto Tranny or 3.07 with a Manual.

Like I said, find the axles you want to sink your time and money into first. Don't waste it on junk and find out later you really wanted something else.

theschwarz1 said:
Mine is a 4.0...so I geuss I dont have that 4.1.....I have seen pictures of the different axles but havent really studied mine. To me they all look so similar. I know there are some small differences in shape, but its hard for me to look at a picture here in the office and then go home and try to compare mine to the picture in my head. I have a 92 Sport 4.0 HO.....its red (HEHEHE, just kidding)

I think regearing on an extra junk yard housing sounds like a great Idea. Just to get familiar with it. I definitley cant afforf new axles right now! I really wanna learn all that I can and do it myself and not be someone who has a shop build their rig (no offense anyone). I have learned so much so far from reading all the posts. I never would have done a suspension on my own a few years ago, but no I hae done it thanks to everyone on here!! ANd I am a better man for it! :soapbox: :lecture:

Resurrecting incredibly old Post. I can't believe this hasn't been touched in over 15 years. But I am trying to re gear my 2001 Jeep Cherokee I'm four and a half inch lift and 33 inch tires with a 3.55 gear ratio. I wanted to be 100% sure but I was thinking about upgrading the rear end gear ratio 4.56. after the front bumper rear bumper skid plates spare tire frame stiffeners I'm running really high RPMs and only getting about a hundred eighty miles to the tank.

Back