• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" Lift and shocks..Help !!

larsend1

NAXJA Forum User
I just :helpme: purchased a 3" lift kit with add a leaf and front springs. I have searched all the threads for info. Do I need anything else? I am going to put 31's on my stock rims. I have heard and read, many different opinions on what else I may or may not require. Do I really need to make any other modifications? I.e. T-Case drop, Control arm relocation. I don’t plan to “off road” much, if at all. Any help, and or suggestions would be appreciated….Thanks

I also purchaced longer shocks....................

Last edited:
The reason you get different answers on what you need is because every Jeep is just a little bit different, and every driver has a different level of what is acceptable as far as ride comfort and "doing it right" goes. And every Jeeper uses their Jeep for different levels of trails. Just install the lift and see what you think, then address stuff as it comes up.

WipesOutStains said:
what year is your jeep?

because the 97 and up have a different output on the transfercase that makes it more suseptible to vibrations.

I believe it's actually 1996 and newer models.

Anyway, your front axle will likely be shifted to the driver's side a little after you lift. You can drill a new hole for the trackbar where it mounts to the axle to re-center the axle. Also, stock lower control arms will not allow very much suspension droop without a little modification. What I have done is use a grinder to get some more clearance for the lower arms. Just grind away the surface where they hit on the axle, right behind the shock absorber. A little bit goes a long way here - I wouldn't grind off more than a quarter inch. You will likely want a longer rear brake line with this much lift if you intend to flex it out off road much. A cheap solution here is to get a rear brakeline from a 1992 Dodge Dakota 4x4 from AutoZone. It is long enough for probably an 8" lift and is pretty cheap, and it fits a Jeep just right. Front sway bar disconnects would be a great upgrade now or later down the road. Disconnecting the sway bar makes a HUGE improvement in front axle articulation, and the links would be longer to correct the angles for your lift.

Hope this helps, and everything goes well. Good luck.

Jared:patriot:

EDIT - I don't mean grind the arms themselves! Just grind the mount for them on the axle! I just read this post and realized I could cause a big disaster here...

Jared :doh:

Back