• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.5" lift so standard or offset ball joints?

ibobmc

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I have a '99 XJ that I just purchased. The ball joints, tie rods, etc. need to be replaced so I am going to install a 3.5" lift at the same time. I am going to do the work and have a shop perform the front end alignment.

In talking with one shop, they suggested I install off set ball joints because the standard ball joints don't provide enough caster. Is this true for such a small lift? What kind of castor measurements are folks getting with standard ball joints and 3.5" or 4.5" lifts?

I have been through pages and pages of searchs on this forum and others but can't find anything addressing this subject.
Thanks for helping, Bob.

I am running the 3.5" RE lift (actual 4.2") and my BJ's seem to be fine with that amount of lift. Even tire wear as long as I keep up on rotation.

The caster is adjusted with the lower control arm mount. Or if you get adjustable control arms you can adjust it that way. Offset ball joints would be for correcting camber issues. The camber isnt adjustable with stock ball joints and on a rig that new you should be fine with just replacing them with some nice moog joints. As for CASTER angles, I believe -5 to -7 is desirable.

offset ball joints can adjust caster AND camber depending how they are installed. not a terrible idea to get caster good and also a better pinion angle by using offset ball joints. definitely not necessary though

offset ball joints can adjust caster AND camber depending how they are installed. not a terrible idea to get caster good and also a better pinion angle by using offset ball joints. definitely not necessary though

Ok, yes yes but why waist the money when you can just adjust it at the arms... unless like you were saying you wanted to raise the pinion while keeping the caster the same. You do probably have a Low Pinion 30 under that front too come to think about it. Why not just build a High Pinion 30 Instead? better driveline angles and clearance from rocks.

If you're buying ball joints regardless then get the off-set joints, but wait until the lift is installed and everything is setup. I used RE 3.5 SF springs on my beater and had to bump the pinion +3.5 degrees to get rid of front driveshaft vibes, which of course put my caster down to 3.5 degrees which is really steep handling. Yours will probably be different so wait until its setup and working, then find the angle you need to return caster back to normal.

Not going to bother looking it up, but according to my memory the amount of caster adjustment available with the ball joints is MINIMAL. You can shim the LCA mounts, the factory answer to adjusting caster, or you can install adjustable CA, lowers and maybe uppers too. Do a little research on the ball joints. The 90 FSM lists caster at 5~9 degrees, set to is 6 degrees, I run mine at 7 degrees on 4.5 inches of lift, shimmed, my CAs aren't adjustable but he LCAs aren't stock length.

If you're buying ball joints regardless then get the off-set joints, but wait until the lift is installed and everything is setup. I used RE 3.5 SF springs on my beater and had to bump the pinion +3.5 degrees to get rid of front driveshaft vibes, which of course put my caster down to 3.5 degrees which is really steep handling. Yours will probably be different so wait until its setup and working, then find the angle you need to return caster back to normal.

Not going to bother looking it up, but according to my memory the amount of caster adjustment available with the ball joints is MINIMAL. You can shim the LCA mounts, the factory answer to adjusting caster, or you can install adjustable CA, lowers and maybe uppers too. Do a little research on the ball joints. The 90 FSM lists caster at 5~9 degrees, set to is 6 degrees, I run mine at 7 degrees on 4.5 inches of lift, shimmed, my CAs aren't adjustable but he LCAs aren't stock length.

Big difference though,yes you can adjust castor with the control arms,but your pinion angles suffer.You can get up to 5* with offset balljoints,thats enough to even fix a LP D30!

Also,be aware of the fact that installing just lowers or uppers(not as a pair) can cause premature wear on the unit bearings,u-joints,and axle splines!

Last edited:
Big difference though,yes you can adjust castor with the control arms,but your pinion angles suffer.You can get up to 5* with offset balljoints,thats enough to even fix a LP D30!

Also,be aware of the fact that installing just lowers or uppers(not as a pair) can cause premature wear on the unit bearings,u-joints,and axle splines!

Interesting, most upper and lower adjustable ball joints I have seen for the XJ D30, the uppers only give 2 degrees and the lowers 1.5 degrees, for a maximum of 3.5 degrees in positive/negative adjustment. Post up a link for the 5 degree ball joints and I will bookmark it.

Interesting, most upper and lower adjustable ball joints I have seen for the XJ D30, the uppers only give 2 degrees and the lowers 1.5 degrees, for a maximum of 3.5 degrees in positive/negative adjustment. Post up a link for the 5 degree ball joints and I will bookmark it.

Never seen a 5* ball joint.You can get 2* ball joints almost anywhere,dont recall where I came across the 2.5* ones though!

Does anyone have the alignment measurements after lifting (3.5" - 4.5") your rig? I am very curious to know the amount of lift on your rig, the post lift camber/castor measurements and if you used off set ball joints. I am hoping someone still has their alignment receipts. I can't be the only one who keeps that kind of paperwork. Come to think of it, I would also be interesting in knowing your before lift measurements.

Shoot for factory settings on toe and caster. If you've got driveline vibrations, you want to reduce caster to eliminate them.

On my 94, with 2 degree offset upper balljoints, I'm sitting right at factory specs.

I was also unable to find offset lower balljoints when I swapped mine. Since installing these, I put quite a few miles on it as a daily driver outside of Chicago, and the hubs have not given me any trouble.

Never seen a 5* ball joint.You can get 2* ball joints almost anywhere,dont recall where I came across the 2.5* ones though!
:huh:

Back