• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.07 to 3.55 axles with 31's, is it worth it?

31's and 3.55's _SUCK_ period. Go at least 4.10's or better yet, 4.56's.

I was in the same boat you are. I was running 30's with 3.07's and it sucked! Just recently regeard to 4.10's running 30's for a month. in town it was awsome. on the freeway people passed me like I was standing still. My rpms was about 3k and doing 55-60 mph. I just up graded to 32's and have lots of pep still. I say if your looking to run a bigger tire you might want to go with 4.10's. Just my opinion.

On my DD I´m running 265/75R15 tires (about 30.5-31") on my stock 3.55 (AW4) - I´d like to have 3.73 at least or 4.10.

I won´t bother going from 3.07 to 3.55 if there´s more involved than a 1:1 swap of the axles. If you get a set of 3.55 axles for cheap, than yeah, just swap them, why not, but I wouldn´t pay much for that.

Tate228 said:
Ya im kinda just trying to find a way to make it suck a little less so if i get a deal i'll prolly go for it

Honestly the effort is the same and the cost is the same.

Instead of making it suck less, get the right parts and make it great.

Yeah, you definately got the low end covered then with the 435:cheers: But with no OD, you might just do well with 3.55's

3XJFamily said:
I have a buddy here who just asked the more or less the same question, we put it on the calculator, and it returns it to stock performance. 3.55 axles are piled up everywhere, I've got a couple of sets of spare axles here I told him he could have for free. For a little more than a days work, he figure's it's worth it.

This is true, id live by that statment anyone looking to do the swap, expect a return to stock performance, my speedo went back to 100% accurate after that too.

well here's my take on it. One of my jeeps now has 31's with 3.55's (stick), my dad's has 31's with 4.11's (stick), my other jeep had 31's with 4.88's (stick) for a short period of time. So.... 3.07's with stock tires SUCK. 3.07's with 235's sucked even more. 3.55's with 31's could be better but for the $ involved in the swap it's not bad (btw, I picked up the jeep with 3.55's already in it).

Yes I would prefer 4.11's for a daily driver. Actually I'm gathering pieces for the 4.11 upgrade and I'm hoping to have it done by the end of the year. 4.88's with 31's were great. I was still able to cruise at 70 or so at about 3K RPM's. The fuel economy on the highway was not too bad (IIRC it was about 16 or 17mpg) and that was from me pushing the jeep up the grades at high speed ;)

In regards to junkyard axles: I think that you should have no problems finding a 4.11 D30. 4.11 8.25? good luck. My plan is to get a D30 with 4.11's and then find a D44 and regear and lock that up :D

Back